Monday, February 24, 2014

Top Ten Books I Bought And Have Yet To Read

 
Every week the ladies at The Broke the Bookish host Top Ten Tuesday, a list-making link-up for bibliophiles. This week is Top Ten Tuesday Rewind, wherein bloggers choose any past topic they missed or want to do again. Since I've only been participating for a few months, I had dozens of prompts to pick from from. After much debate, I finally settled on:

The Top Ten Books I Just HAD To Buy...
But Are Still Sitting On My Bookshelf
 
Story of my life! Once upon a time I worked at a thrift store, and then after that I worked at a library that had a take-one, give-one shelf, and now I work at a library that has a perpetual book sale -- and I have accumulated a ridiculous number of books. Another hazard of working at a library is the constant temptation to check out books, so I seldom read anything I already own. Oh yeah, and there was that Border's going-out-of-business sale...

My main New Year's resolution this year was to read at least one of my own books every month, but so far that has been a total fail. I feel bad for those poor, unloved books that have been patiently waiting to be read -- for over four years in some cases! Maybe compiling this list will get me on the right track.

1. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
I bought this book at the same time I got the first in the series, "Outlander." I absolutely loved "Outlander," but it was so intense and engrossing that I thought I'd take a week or two off before continuing the saga with book 2. A week or two turned into several years!

2. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
This was a $1 find. I have another bargain Barbara Kingsolver book too, "The Lacuna," waiting to be read.
 
3. Wideacre by Philippa Gregory
I discovered Greogry's historical fiction in college when I read "The Other Boleyn Girl." I was working my way through all her earlier work and ordered this book from half.com... only to never, ever, ever pick it up again. This might be the unread book I've been hauling around the longest -- maybe 7 or 8 years!!!
 
4. Baby Proof by Emily Giffin
Similarly, I had read most of Giffin's other books and snagged this one when I found it on clearance at Barnes and Noble.
 
5. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
A couple years ago I read the Christmas insallment of the series. I hadn't read any of Willig's other novels but was intrigued and grabbed this one on sale at the library. At this very moment we have another book in this series on my library's for-sale shelf and I have to make an effort not to buy it every time I browse the shelf. (Why am I even browsing the shelf!? Bad!)
 
6. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Anne Barrows
I'm 99.9% sure I will enjoy this book. I mean, I like potatoes and I like literature! ;)
 
7. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
This book involves dogs and was an Oprah's Book Club pick.
 
8. The French Gardener by Santa Montefiore
I bought "The French Gardener" when Border's was going out of business. The cover was so beautiful I couldn't resist! I'm sure I read the book jacket before I bought it, but now I don't have the foggiest idea what this novel is about. It'll be a surprise!

9. A Painted House by John Grisham
I don't really care for Grisham's legal thrillers but everyone says this book is a total departure from those. One of my co-workers at the library in Hawaii was raving about it, so when I came across it for 50 cents I brought it home with me.

10. Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt
Another Border's going-out-of-business buy with a pretty cover. This book was really popular a couple years ago -- when I bought it -- though I have now forgotten any details of the plot I may have once known.

Bonus: Jodi Picoult x 5!
I read a couple of Picoult's books and then apparently decided I needed to start collecting the sum total of her work! Unfortunately I haven't read a Jodi Picoult book in four years...

3 comments:

  1. I loved Something Borrowed and Something Blue by Emily Giffin, but I haven't read Baby Proof. I will have to check that one out.

    I selected the same topic this week. Here is mine: http://jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2014/02/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-had-to-buy-but.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick, this was my choice this week too. I also work in a library and bring far too many library books home. I also worked near a charity shop that sold 3 paperback for £1 and who can say no to a deal like that? I am embarrassed by how many books I own but haven't read yet. I have read EVERY Jodi Picoult book and have never been disappointed by them, although I definitely have my favourites. Nice list :) My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Potato Peel Society sounds intriquing. Let me know when you read it what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...