Thursday, June 5, 2014

Stitch Fix Subscription Box Review

A couple weeks ago, I received my much-anticipated first delivery from Stitch Fix, an innovative though-the-mail fashion company. For $20 a month, you get a personal stylist who picks out five pieces of clothing and accessories for you. First you fill out an extensive style profile. Then you get the box of goodies in the mail, have three days to try everything on and decide what to keep, then you simply pop the return shipping envelope in the mail. If you keep anything, the $20 stylist fee is deducted from the price of your items (and if you keep everything you get a 25% discount). The whole thing is extremely fun, easy and convenient!

I'm in a weird style place right now; some of the stores and brands I've chosen for so long now seem too youthful as I approach 30, but I often find that the more grown-up styles and cuts don't do anything for me. I'm also in a constant battle of quality vs. quantity. I KNOW those cheap-y $5 tops from Old Navy and Target don't fit me right and I should stop buying them. But who can resist a $5 shirt? Instead, I really need to focus on having fewer pieces, but pieces that fit me right, are made well and are comfortable.

That's where Stitch Fix comes in. I signed up hoping that the eye of a professional stylist would help me in transitioning my wardrobe to adulthood. And get my out of my comfort zone, with some fun new pieces and colors. Stitch Fix states right up front that the average price of its items is $65, so I knew I'd have to bite the bullet in that regard and get over some of my cheap-ass-ness.

My first box was sort of a success. At first glance, I liked every one of the five items. But the three tops just didn't fit me right, and the scarf was way too expensive for something that I didn't really need. After much debate, I only kept the necklace. I wrote lots of feedback about why the rejected pieces didn't work for me, and I'm hopeful that my next box will be a better fit. I was most disappointed that, despite the box arriving in mid-May, there were no short sleeves or tank tops. All the sweaters were fairly lightweight, but I know I wouldn't really have worn any of them until fall. This is hot, humid Ohio for god's sake! I asked for my next box to include summer stuff -- maybe something cute for me to wear to Lollapalooza in August.

If you're interested in signing up for Stitch Fix deliveries (they can be sent once a month or less frequently, it's up to you), follow this link and I'll get a credit for my next box! Woo hoo!

http://www.stitchfix.com/referral/3687430

And without further ado, here are the goodies that filled up my May box (I accidentally tossed the price list, but costs per item ranged from $38 to around $60):
 
DSCF3127
Oh, the delicious anticipation!
 
sf5
 
sf6
This is the one piece I kept. It was over $40... way more than I'd normally pay for a necklace! But I loved the colors and the length, and it's crafted from paper beads made by women in an impoverished country (Uganda, I think?), so hopefully my $40 did a bit of good. I've worn this necklace on several occasions already and gotten compliments each time!
 
sf4
Beautiful but way-overpriced scarf!
 
sf3
The dolman sleeves of this sweatshirt did nothing for me. And it was just way too loose in the sides. I told my stylist that I need clothes with more shaping in the waist since I've got "child-bearing" hips.
 
sf2
I really liked this funnel-neck sweater -- though it refused to photograph properly and was actually a kelly/grass green, not the pretty turquoise that it appears here. The fabric was soft and light and I reeeeally wanted to like it, but it didn't do anything for my figure. It would have counted as stepping out of my comfort zone, since I probably wouldn't have chosen that color on my own.
 
sf1
This cocoon sweater with the fun accents on the back was the item I was most excited about when I opened my box, but it just didn't fit right at all. Sad!

My next fix comes June 17. I can't wait to see what sartorial wonders that box will hold!

2 comments:

  1. I'm interested to see how this works for you. While it was convenient I didn't love the clothes I got. I felt like they were overpriced and not well made. Other people I know love it though and rave about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the necklace on you! I know it's one of your favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...