Monday, September 18, 2017

Monday Musings

IMG_6217

My week: Wow, what a crazy week here! I actually worked six days in a row, and the above picture of Alohi (while taken on Saturday) is a pretty accurate representation of me yesterday! Zzzzzz.

We're quite short-handed at the library right now so work was pretty busy to begin with, and on top of that I had my 4th and 5th grade book club meeting on the same day a co-worker and I put on preschool storytime -- something I've never done before (though it was actually pretty fun). It was a busy, busy week!

Reading: I didn't have much time for reading this week, but I did finish "Good Morning, Midnight" by Lily Brooks-Dalton. It's a novel set around the apocalypse told from the perspectives of a researcher stranded in the Arctic and an astronaut on a return trip from Jupiter; being so isolated, they don't know what has happened to the planet, only that something has. Sounds absolutely fascinating -- but it was far from the action-packed page-turner I expected and was a lot more... existential. It wasn't a bad book, but right now I'm in the mood for (and need, really) a more fast-paced, unputdownable book.

Yesterday I started "The Scribe of Siena" by Melodie Winawer, which involves a modern-day neurosurgeon time traveling back to 1300s Italy in the midst of the Black Death plague. The writing feels slightly off to me for some reason, but I'm definitely intrigued by the plot so far!


Watching: We started watching the newest (final) season of "Orphan Black." We also watched a really good movie called "Gifted," which I had never heard of until three separate people recommended to me. It's about an absolutely adorable little girl who's a math prodigy, and the battle over how to handle her genius -- keep her living a normal little-girl life, or send her straight to university and beyond. It stars Chris Evans (a.k.a. Captain America) and Mckenna Grace, who simply stole the show.

Blogging:

Looking forward to: My day off Wednesday! I plan to read and relax and maybe do a little shopping and possibly even get a massage!

*I'm linking up with Kathryn of Book Date for It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

7 comments:

  1. Both of these books sound promising. I'm sorry the first turned out to be so in-one's-head. Hope the second is more action packed!

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/09/back-to-schoolfor-second-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a lovely day off!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, let's hope you have a better week!

    I'm curious about Good Morning, Midnight...Enjoy!

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a busy week. I'm also into more action-packed rather than cerebral books these days. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that picture of Alohi. She's so cute with her tongue sticking out. Hope you caught up on some rest and that this week slows down some for you. I really liked how Orphan Black wrapped up but I will definitely miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about Good Morning, Midnight. There's nothing wrong with it as a book (well, not really), but it's nowhere close to being a gripping read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...