Monday, June 20, 2011

Mitts for Mary

I had hoped to have a book review and/or a post on my latest craft project (I'm making a scarf out of old t-shirts) this week, but I got side-tracked by a knitting project. Once a week for the entire time I've been working at the base thrift shop, Mary has volunteered with me at the register. Mary is 84 and has been volunteering at the shop for over 30 years. Her husband used to be the commander of Hickam Air Force Base, and before that her husband's military career took them all over the world. Just today she told me about living in Japan and working for a TV station there, translating shows from English to Japanese. Mary is full of stories, wisdom and advice, and she is one of the few parts of my job that I will really miss. My last day at the thrift shop will be Wednesday, but today was my last time working with Mary. I wanted to give her something to show my appreciation for her friendship and kindness these many months that we've worked together, so I decided to whip up a pair of fingerless mitts for her. The pattern I used is called Seeta on Ravelry.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...