Sunday, November 20, 2011

Book Review: "Eragon"

"Eragon" by Christopher Paolini
Originally published in 2003
My rating: 4.5 out of 5


So I'm just going to come right out with it. I'm apparently in love with young adult fantasy fiction. I can't imagine any series topping "Harry Potter," but I also devoured the "Hunger Games," "Twilight" and "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series, and now I'm hooked on Christopher Paolini's "Inheritance" series. I guess there's just something about the books that draws me (and millions of other not-so-young adults) in. The plots are interesting and easy to follow. The themes are relatable. The writing style (at least of these particular series) is typically simple but not dumbed-down. They're relaxing, easy, pleasurable reads. It's so easy to get lost in these books and allow myself to be transported to another time and place, where vampires and dragons and wizards and Greek gods abound.

"Eragon" has a somewhat similar storyline to the first books in the "Harry" and "Percy" series. A normal-ish boy with no parents is suddenly thrust into a whole new life full of adventure, magic, monsters and a massive good vs. evil battle of which he turns out to be a central part. What sets this book apart is the existence of dragons and Dragon Riders, as well as new kinds of magic and some very creative villains. If you enjoyed these other books, you probably won't be able to put "Eragon" down.

One of the best parts about just now getting around to reading "Eragon" is that the fourth and final installment in the series came out this month. There's a certain savory joy that comes with anticipating the release of a new novel in a favorite series, but honestly I'd rather be able to read all the books at once. And so I shall! That is, after I read the new Janet Evanovich book, and a book I have to return to my mom, and some Christmas books...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...