Sunday, December 4, 2011

Books On The Big Screen This Winter

I love a good book, and -- if done right -- I love a good book-based movie. I think it's fascinating to see how others have envisioned the characters and setting in a novel and compare it to what I imagined in my own head. I've learned a very valuable lesson over the years, though: it's imperative that I don't read the book so close to the movie release that I remember each little detail, or I'll spend the entire film nit-picking every single change or missing element. There are several of upcoming theatrical releases that are based on books and I thought I'd share with you which ones I'll be dragging poor Jarrod to over the next few months:


"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" -- Though I like Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Sherlock Holmes, I was kind of disappointed with the 2009 installment. The sequel looks better -- similar but a bit more on the mark. Plus it stars Noomi Rapace, whom I absolutely loved in the Swedish version of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."


"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" -- I liked the books by Stieg Larsson and I really, really liked the three Swedish movies based on the series. I don't think the American Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara) will be quite as perfect in the role as the Swedish Lisbeth (Noomi Rapace) but I'm excited to see Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist. While I'm sure this Hollywood blockbuster will be entertaining, I strongly suggest renting the Swedish movies as well.


"We Bought a Zoo" -- This movie, starring Matt Damon, is based on a memoir by Benjamin Mee. I haven't read the book (yet), but I definitely want to see the movie. It looks cute, heart-warming and funny.


"One for the Money" -- Sigh. I adore Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, especially the early books. But if this trailer is an accurate portrayal of the long-awaited movie, I think the legions of Stephanie Plum fans are in for a real disappointment. This looks like it could be about as bad as the "Confessions of a Shopaholic" movie disaster. Even so, I'm sure I'll haul myself to the theater to see it anyway.


"The Hunger Games" -- This doesn't come out until March, but just watching the trailer puts me on the edge of my seat! I read devoured the entire series a couple months ago after a friend recommended the books and fell in love. The movie looks like it'll be fantastic as well!

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely going to see some of the movies this Christmas. I can't wait to see the "Hunger Games".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...