Monday, May 9, 2016

Monday Musings from Colorado #4

IMG_1349

Highlight of the week: I spent four days in Dallas visiting my best friend, Katie, last week. I only get to see her a couple times a year so it's a big treat! We had a fun few days; we visited Fort Worth to see the stockyards and the daily longhorn cattle drive, we went to the Dallas Zoo where Katie's a zookeeper, and we traveled to Waco to visit Magnolia Market (of the TV show "Fixer Upper"), the Dr. Pepper Museum and Waco Mammoth National Monument (Columbian mammoth fossils -- so cool!). Plus, Katie is fostering two baby raccoons that were displaced by construction at the zoo, and they were just about the most adorable things ever. Katie was also dog-sitting a goldendoodle puppy, so it was just cuteness all around!

Reading: I finished "A Murder in Time" by Julie McElwain and liked it pretty well; it was a page-turner, which is makes for great travel reading. The writing was nothing amazing but I enjoyed the plot, which involves time travel to 1815 England and a series of grisly murders. I also read "The Blue Bath" by Mary Waters-Sayer, an advance-read book I had from NetGalley that came out last Tuesday. It was ok... I didn't love the plot, though I did find it to be very well written. And last night I started "A Gathering of Shadows" by V.E. Schwab, book two in her Shades of Magic series, which features four parallel universe Londons. I liked "A Darker Shade of Magic" (review) and I have high hopes for book two!



Knitting: Finally, something to report on the knitting front! I ordered some yarn from Knit Picks before I headed to Dallas and it arrived on Saturday. Some of the yarn will be turned into a short-sleeve sweater, the Cap Sleeve Lattice Top by Purl Soho. I'm so excited to have a project back on the needles!

Buying: I ordered some earrings from one of my favorite Etsy shops, happyment, and they arrived the other day. This is my second pair of earrings from the shop and I absolutely LOVE them. I get compliments every time I wear the pair I bought several months ago. They're a bit of a splurge, but they're so well made and so pretty! Here's a picture of my new earrings (stolen from the shop listing).


Eating: Katie took me to Velvet Taco, an awesome little gourmet taco shop in Dallas. I had the annatto shredded pork taco and the spicy chicken tikka taco, along with a corn cup, something I'd never even heard of before but which was absolutely freakin' delicious. We also went to Sprinkles Cupcakes, one of the original cupcakeries and something Katie and I do every time I visit her in Dallas. It was Cinco de Mayo so I got a yummy margarita cupcake.

IMG_1306

Watching:
"The Big Short." The movie was cleverly done and the plot -- based on the 2008 housing crisis and crash of the big banks -- was fascinating and disturbing.

Looking forward to: Jarrod's been in Florida for a month-long training course for the job he'll be doing in Hawaii, and he gets back this weekend! Also, my little brother graduates college -- my alma mater, Colorado State -- on Saturday!

*

I'm linking up with Kathryn of Book Date for It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

11 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you got to visit Magnolia!! I LOVE Fixer Upper! And those tacos look DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so yummy. I loved the unusual flavors! Magnolia was fun too -- super crowded, and that was on a Thursday! I can't imagine it on a weekend.

      Delete
  2. I really need to start the Shades of Magic series - I've heard such good things. I hope you enjoy the upcoming reads!

    The new earrings are really pretty - it's good to treat yourself once in a while :-)

    It sounds like you have some fun things to look forward to, that's always nice!!

    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up loving "A Gathering of Shadows"! It was even better than the first one. Hope you enjoy the series!

      Delete
  3. I love the cover for A Gathering of Shadows, and the new earrings are really pretty. I've never heard of a gourmet taco shop, but I know I would love it. It looks like you had a great trip and visit. Now about that raccoon...friend, pet, or both? I'm a little freaked and in awe at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the raccoon is neither friend nor pet. A litter of babies was discovered during construction at the zoo where my best friend works and some of the keepers offered to foster them. Katie took two. They've been bottle-fed formula up to this point (they're now 8 weeks) and it's time for Katie to start weaning them onto solid food. Then she'll have way less contact with them. And when they're about 18 weeks, they get released into the wild!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! My sister is back home visiting from CA and we are enjoying all of our time with her. :)

    Have a great week. I hope you enjoy A Gathering of Shadows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished "A Gathering of Shadows" this morning and really enjoyed it, but now I have to wait until next winter to find out how the trilogy concludes. And of course book 2 left off on a cliffhanger!

      Enjoy your time with your sister! :)

      Delete
  5. I've been watching Fixer Upper episodes on YouTube for a while and loving them. This show is only now being aired on Australian TV. I like the sound of A Murder in Time ... will check it out further. Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you have a great week knitting and reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch a ton of TV but I've seen episodes of "Fixer Upper" here and there, and I always LOVE the decor. They say Joanna approved everything in the store and I can totally see that.

      Delete
  6. OMG, baby raccoon! That is the most adorable thing ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...