Saturday, February 17, 2018

My Blogging Hiatus

Hi friends! You may have noticed, I've taken a bit of a blog hiatus. I had been thinking about the blog a lot during the fall and winter -- and whether I wanted to continue with it -- and the first of the year seemed like the perfect time to take a break. Turns out, I'm enjoying the break quite a bit.

I started Lindsay's Library way back in 2011 as a way to keep track of my reading, solidify and remember better what I read by writing book reviews, chat with others about books, and share a bit of my life with the world. Over the years, Goodreads and Instagram have come to fill those roles quite nicely -- and with much less effort on my part.

I do miss having a writing outlet, as well as the friends I've made through blogging with whom I'm not connected on other social media, but the blog was becoming one of those "lots of work, not a lot of reward" situations. For reasons I don't quite understand, this was never going to be a blog with thousands of followers and publishers filling my mailbox with free books. That's not at all what I had hoped for the blog when I began it, but it would've been nice to see more growth over the years.

Now I have way more time for reading and other fun pursuits, and I still get to talk about books on Instagram. I try to post a picture of every book I read, and I share pictures of all facets of my life (dog, beach, knitting, coffee, coffee and more coffee). I'd love to be Insta-friends if we aren't already. You can find me @knittinglindsay.

It's been six weeks since I decided to take a break from the blog and I don't feel any burning pull to come back to it, so I'm going to continue the hiatus. Maybe in a couple months I'll feel the urge to sit down and write a post, or maybe it's just come to its natural conclusion.

Either way, thanks for reading Lindsay's Library, expanding my to-read list to epic proportions, and providing a book-nerd community over the past seven years!

6 comments:

  1. If you're not gaining a fair amount of personal satisfaction, it's fair that you take a break until you feel compelled to come back. Let's face it, if your book blogging for other reasons, you very well may find yourself in a disappointed state. We've all been there. Following you on Insta. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been worried, but of course saw that you were still posting on Instagram so I suspected it was something like this. I keep thinking about whether to continue my blog too - I have a small following, and I've never tried to promote it much because I like not having the pressure of a large following and not having to spend a lot of time on comment moderation. I don't love having to force myself to sit down and write about what I've just read, BUT I really love having it later when I'm trying to remember what I read and when and what I thought about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been having so many of the same thoughts about my blog....and I love the ease of Instagram! I just started following you over there so we can discuss books and life. I'm not sure what the future of my blog is (and I just noticed that mine seems to be down for some reason), but I love being able to follow authors and books lovers on Instagram in an easy to read and stay updated way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand how you feel, for sure. I'm happy to stay connected through IG at least!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw that's too bad. I never commented very often but you were one of the few book blogs I followed. However I will follow you over on instagram now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. <- thats awesome!
    Love you, lil ninja!!
    You're precocious...
    yet precious.
    I could watch that
    for hoursNhours.
    But, alas! A waste of X.
    Time is short:
    ♡ en.gravatar.com/MatteBlk ♡
    Love you.
    Cya soon.
    be@peace.
    -GBY x-tra

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...