Sunday, January 27, 2013

Book Review: "The Secret Keeper"

"The Secret Keeper" by Kate Morton
First published in 2012
481 pages
My rating: 5 out of 5
(image source)

"The Secret Keeper" captivated me from cover to cover. It's a mother-daughter tale about a long-held secret and its consequences.

When Laurel Nicolson was 16, she witnessed her mother doing something awful -- and though it was explained away, Laurel always suspected there was more to the event than her mother let on. Now, decades later, Laurel's mother is on her deathbed and an old photograph sparks the mystery anew. Laurel decides she must know, once and for all, the truth about that long-ago day.

The story takes place in three time periods: present day from Laurel's perspective, and from her mother Dorothy's point-of-view when she's in her early 20s in 1941 England as well as her childhood in the English countryside. The majority of the novel takes place in Britain during the war years, and the atmosphere Morton creates is phenomenal. She's a fantastic writer with elegant, lovely prose and I definitely want to check out more of her work.

Though the year is new, I imagine "The Secret Keeper" will make next December's best-book-I-read-this-year list! It was a supberbly written mystery and a joy to read.

2 comments:

  1. I love Kate Morton! I got hooked after reading The Forgotten Garden and now all the rest of her books are on my to-read list

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this book! I'd never read any of Kate Morton's books, but tried this one after reading your review. Thank you so much for pointing me toward a great book. I'm looking forward to reading more of Morton's work, and your reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...