Thursday, October 16, 2014

Exploring Ohio: Glen Helen Nature Preserve

DSCF4656
What could be better than taking a meandering stroll through the woods, breathing crisp fall air, crunching on dried leaves, enjoying the stunning hues of fall foliage, all while being graced by some elusive Ohio sunshine? My parents were here for a few days earlier in the week and we had a great time exploring Glen Helen Nature Preserve in the nearby (wonderfully eccentric) village of Yellow Springs, Ohio.
 
DSCF4659
This pretty little waterfall was the most picturesque sight we came across, though the entire area is pretty. Doesn't it just look lovely surrounded by fall leaves?
 
DSCF4666
 
DSCF4672
 
DSCF4619
 
DSCF4687
 
DSCF4691
 
DSCF4696
This is the Yellow Spring. It gets its name from the orange-y yellow coloring caused by iron. (Reminds me of that impossible-to-get-out red dirt that is everywhere in Hawaii!)
 
DSCF4720
 
DSCF4732
These bright leaves remind me of Mountain Dew!
 
DSCF4737
Natural picture frames are the best! :)
 
DSCF4748
 
DSCF4750
I wish we'd discovered Glen Helen sooner, because it was possibly the prettiest, most scenic and relaxing place we've visited so far in Ohio -- and it's right down the road! I'd love to go back and see how it changes with the seasons. I imagine wildflowers in the summer and frozen waterfalls in the winter!

1 comment:

  1. Love these photos - what a pretty place, with the leaves just starting to turn. If you are near Yellow Springs, are you familiar with Dark Star Books? It looks like a great bookstore to visit. (I haven't been there, but the manager is a college friend of mine.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...