Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Yarn Along: "When Breath Becomes Air" and Cap Sleeve Lattice Top

Yarn Along is a wonderful weekly link-up hosted by Ginny at the Small Things blog about two of the best things in life: books and knitting.

yarn along 072016

Reading: I'm a little ways into "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi, a memoir written by a neurosurgeon who was diagnosed with late-stage lung cancer at only 36. Paul is so much more than a doctor; he's a writer and a philosopher and a scientist and a general thinker of big ideas, and his take on finding meaning in life -- even when death is imminent -- is poignant and interesting. It's a pretty short book so I'm sure I'll be done soon.

Next up will be "Burial Rites" by Hannah Kent, a book I've been meaning to read for years. It takes place in 1800s Iceland (which, coincidentally, fits perfectly with my Top Ten Tuesday post from yesterday about books set outside the U.S. You can see my whole long list of suggested reads here!).

Knitting: No surprise here, I'm still chugging along on the Cap Sleeve Lattice Top by Purl Soho. Now that unpacking is winding down and my husband will be working some odd hours for the next couple weeks, I anticipate getting lots of knitting done. All that's left is endless rows of stockinette, which makes for perfect (if a bit dull) TV knitting.

4 comments:

  1. When Breath Becomes Air was one of my favorite reads this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really impressed. I wish there were more people like Paul in the world!

      Delete
  2. Just discovered your blog via Ginny´s blog. Seems like what I was looking for, a lot of wonderful book inspirations! I already saw many things here that are on my to-read-list. I read Burial Rites this year and really liked it. Curious about your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you find some good books here! :) I took "Burial Rites" the beach yesterday to start and it was so noisy that I only read about 30 pages, but I'm hoping to really get into it today! I'm already impressed with the map and the guide to Icelandic pronunciations in the front.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...