Tuesday, August 2, 2016

10 Books I'd Buy Right This Second If You Gave Me A Fully-Loaded Gift Card


After a couple weeks of in-depth Top Ten Tuesday topics, this week's is a fun and delightful fantasy: what would I pick out if someone gave me a gift card and said I had to buy 10 books with it? How about someone just gives me a real-life gift card loaded up with infinity dollars and we'll find out?! My birthday's coming up in, oh, you know, (mumblemumble)months... nothing wrong with an early present!

1. Pride and Prejudice, 1895 peacock edition
I decided to finally read "Pride and Prejudice" this summer -- I love all things "P&P"- and Austen-related, but I've never actually read the book -- and I decided I wanted to buy it (a rarity for me since I'm a library gal), with the aim of finding a beautiful used copy -- or just a beautiful copy in general. There are a zillion different cover options, but so far I haven't found The One; most of the prettiest covers are in paperback and I was really hoping for a hardback, especially if I'm buying it new. So let's just end the search right now and buy me this 1895 peacock edition.

2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, first edition
 While we're shopping for pricey books, I'll go ahead and take a first-edition "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone."

3. Illustrated Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
On to more realistic purchases, I'll pre-order a copy of the new illustrated "HP," which comes out in October. Hell, let's make it two copies. Then I can tear out and frame some of the best pictures! I love the one on the cover; the Burrow looks so cozy!

4. Morning Star
I need another copy of "Morning Star" by Pierce Brown, the finale to the ah-maze-ing Red Rising trilogy, because the movers ruined mine with their idiotically poor packing and I hadn't even read it yet! GRRRR! Some people have no respect for books.

5. Sleeping Giants
I have been trying to get my hands on a library copy this super-hyped sci-fi book since it came out in April, which was terrible timing because of our move. I had it on hold at my parents' library in Colorado but it didn't come in while I was staying with them, and I never seem to move up in the queue for it here at the Hawaii library (even though there are only 4 people on the list, including me!).

6. Adulthood is a Myth
I think this book sounds hilarious and right up my alley; at 30, I still don't feel like I have the "adulting" thing down! But, sadly, the Hawaii library doesn't have it. :( Here's the blurb:

Are you a special snowflake? Do you enjoy networking to advance your career? Is adulthood an exciting new challenge for which you feel fully prepared? Ugh. Please go away.
This book is for the rest of us. These comic document the wasting of entire beautiful weekends on the internet, the unbearable agony of holding hands on the street with a gorgeous guy, dreaming all day of getting home and back into pajamas, and wondering when, exactly, this adulthood thing begins. In other words, the horrors and awkwardnesses of young modern life.

7. All the Light We Cannot See
This book. I know I'm going to love it, but somehow I never actually get around to reading it, despite planning to multiple times. I got a brand-new copy from the library when it was released almost two years ago now, but I had to take it back before I could get to it. And it has been in the back of my mind ever since, whispering, "Read me, read me!"

8. A Song of Ice and Fire box set
I would really like to read these books! But I always say I'm going to do it and then I never do, so I think I need a little nudge. I recently happened upon a TTT post from December 2013 (that's 2 1/2 years ago!) about the books I wanted Santa to bring me, and this box set was on the list! (Damn you, Santa, why didn't you read my blog post?! I know... I mean... I think I was a good girl that year!) So maybe if they were sitting right there on my bookshelf, just begging to be read, I would finally dive in? Plus, they seem like something I'd like to own instead of just checking out from the library. I love the show, and I'm expecting to love the books even more!

9-10. Free-for-all!
I just couldn't pick any more! There are 365 books on my to-read list (and 361 books on my maybe-to-read list) and it's just too hard to narrow down, so if this were a real-life scenario I'd probably buy as many bargain/sale/clearance books on my to-read list as I could with whatever gift card money was left over!

10 comments:

  1. I hope you are able to grab "Sleeping Giants" soon because I've heard really great things about it. Also, I really want a copy of "Adulthood is a Myth" even though I didn't add it to my list. That's pathetic that movers cannot even manage not to damage a book - they actually should be one of the easier things to pack you would think. Hopefully Santa will bring you your box set this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleeping Giants is such a good book, I really hope you get to read it soon. The A Song of Ice and Fire series are intimidating books, but they are totally worth it! George R. R. Martin sure knows how to write. I hope you have a great day!

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collector's editions! That's a sweet copy of Pride and Prejudice. I can see why you would want that edition. I would love to have the illustrated Harry Potter books. Maybe someday. :-) You've reminded me I need to read Sleeping Giants. Hopefully you can get all those books soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my favorite cover of Pride and Prejudice! I really want a copy of it, too :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that edition of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I see PBS sells t-shirts with it featured too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, I LOVE All the Light We Cannot See! It's fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you receive the books you want soon. Happy reading!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/08/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-id-buy-right.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blurb for Adulthood is a Myth is great! And that is a gorgeous edition of P&P! And illustrated HP! Why didn't I think of that?! I don't even have the first one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Song of Fire and Ice is sooooo good but waiting for the next one is the actual worst. I want it now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the Light is definitely one of my "need to read soon" books! My TTT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...