Monday, May 8, 2017

Monday Musings

IMG_4735

My week: Jarrod started new hours at work (noon to midnight 5 days the first week, 2 days the second week), so Alohi and I spent a lot of quality time together. I admit a small part of me thinks about how much reading, knitting, DVR watching, cleaning and organizing I could be getting done during all those nights when Jarrod's at work if it weren't for a certain puppy needing constant attention, but I wouldn't give my crazy, sweet girl up for anything. On one of Jarrod's two days off we took Alohi to the dog park for the first time and she had a blast!

At work I got to do something new this week. We had a group of 52 first-graders come in as part of a field trip. Their teachers had chosen a book for us to read to them ("Waiting" by Kevin Henkes), then we asked them some questions, did a couple activities and gave them a library tour. It was organized chaos most of the time, but I was so impressed with how intelligent, imaginative and well-behaved these kids were! I got to be the book reader, which was so much fun. I love kids' picture books and part of me thinks I'd enjoy being a children's librarian. I've never been "in charge" of a group of kids before, so I was a bit nervous, but I think it went pretty well!

Reading: I finished "A Conjuring of Light," the finale to V.E. Schwab's wonderful Shades of Magic series, and loved it! It was long, at over 600 pages, but it's the best book I've read this year, hands down. (Although it's been a pretty rough reading year for me, so, sadly, it hasn't had much competition.)

Then I read the latest volume of "Saga," and now I've just started a fun non-fiction book called "Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage and Manners" by Therese ONeill, as well as "Maisie Dobbs" by Jacqueline Winspear. I've been wanting to start this historical mystery series forever and I was so excited to finally dive into book one.



Watching: I'm continuing to work my way through "This Is Us" on the DVR and I'm just loving it more and more. Only a few episodes left to go! As for movies, we watched "Sing" this week and thought it was super cute.

Listening to: "Sign of the Times" by Harry Styles. I was decidedly not a One Direction fan so I never would've sought this song out, but it popped up on my Spotify and I'm glad it did!


Eating: I baked a yummy recipe my mom shared with me from Pinterest called apple fritter bread. I thought it was more reminiscent of a coffee cake than a bread, but either way it was delicious! (I skipped the glaze because I didn't have powdered sugar on hand, but I thought it was plenty sweet without it.)

Blogging:
Monday Musings
10 Beautiful Night Sky Book Covers
I Judge Books By Their Covers: Shades of Magic Series

Looking forward to: Maybe, possibly, perhaps going to see "Guardians of the Galaxy 2." We never made it to "Beauty and the Beast" and I feel like it's been forever since we've seen a movie at the theater! Also, my Roomba gets here tomorrow!

IMG_4749_1
Can't have a Monday Musings post without a puppy picture!

*I'm linking up with Kathryn of Book Date for It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

4 comments:

  1. Definitely not Monday without Alohi on the post somewhere! Sounds like you've had some great reading lately. I didn't get a whole lot read over the weekend as Mr. Barb graduated college, but did start "You Were Here" and finish a graphic novel. I bet it was a lot of fun to see all the children at the library. I am always referring families to our town's local library through my job as ways to inexpensively spend time with their children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library is a great way to spend time together! And lots of libraries have great programming too. We're just about to start our Summer Reading Program. The theme this year is STEM so we have lots of fun science-y activities coming up. And I'm making a volcano for our big wall display!

      Delete
  2. The first grade library tour sounds like fun. It was another busy week but I did manage to finish some books. Come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that when kids come to the library for introductory talks they're interested in the weirdest things. I suppose that's what makes it fun, right? ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...