Monday, October 9, 2017

Monday Musings

sunflowers

My week: It was a pretty quiet week around here. We had two rainy days, which was a nice change of pace. Sunday we went to a pumpkin patch/sunflower field on the east side of the island.

Reading: I read "The Marsh King's Daughter" last week and found it to be just-ok. The premise -- the daughter of an abducted woman and her kidnapper is now an adult, and her father has escaped from prison -- was intriguing, but fell a bit flat. It definitely was not what I would call "psychological suspense" as the cover claims.

After that I spent two days trying to get into "The Keeper of Lost Things" -- another interesting premise and a gorgeous cover -- but it just wasn't what I was in the mood for. So I set it aside and did something completely uncharacteristic: despite the pile of library books I have out, I picked out one of my own books that sounded good. I'm not usually a mood reader, and I have the world's worst time actually reading the books I own, so this was a surprise!

And I'm thrilled to say I'm head-over-heels for "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet"! It's a very charming, fun sci-fi book and I'm so glad I'm finally getting to it! I ordered it from Book Depository months ago and I've been looking forward to reading it for much longer than that.


Watching: "This Is Us," "Poldark," "Designated Survivor." We tried the new show "The Good Doctor" last week and we liked it enough to keep watching.

Movie-wise, we finally got to see "Wonder Woman"! It was just as good as everyone said it was.

Drinking: My new favorite coffee: chocolate-coconut flavor. No creamer needed, just a splash of half-and-half!

Making: My book fairy Halloween costume for the library! I'm putting together a no-sew tutu, and I made myself a pair of wings out of cardboard and a book that Alohi mutilated a while back. It took a while to decoupage the wings (something I haven't done in years!) but I'm really pleased with the way they came out. Pictures to come!

Also making:
The Halloween bulletin board at work! I'm telling you, this giant whopper of a board is a commitment! I feel like as soon as I get one month's up, it's time to start working on the next month's. In any case, I really like our Halloween board, and I had lots of help from a wonderfully creative co-worker on this one.

Blogging:
Monday Musings
10 Book Characters Who Are Sexy As Hell In Their Movie & TV Adaptations
Non-Fiction Review: American Eclipse by David Baron
Book Review: The Marsh King's Daughter by Karen Dionne

Looking forward to: My mom and brother will be here tomorrow for a week-long visit!

*I'm linking up with Kathryn of Book Date for It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE your photo at the sunflower garden!! We tried going to one this year, but we went too early. There were only a few flowers.

    I'm glad to hear you enjoyed The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet! That's on my TBR and I want to read it very soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer about the sunflowers! This was actually a pretty small patch -- and we had to pay $3 a person to see it -- but it made for some fun pictures!

      Delete
  2. I've been trying to read more of the books I buy too. The new arrivals always seem to be shinier and more attractive. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. And the I feel like there's a time limit on my library books whereas the books on my shelves will be there forever! I think I've only read like 2 of my own books this year!

      Delete
  3. The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is on my wishlist. Come see what I'm reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fabulous! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  4. The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet sounds so good. I've been meaning to give it a try!

    I love your Halloween costume idea. I hope we will see pictures when it's done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I REALLY liked "The Long Way" and I'm about to order the sequel! I'll definitely post pictures of my costume. I just made my tutu yesterday!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see the costume. Gotta put those dog eaten books to good use. Cooper ate a King book or two during his puppyhood. I was devastated but quickly got over it. Glad you found a book you are interested in. Hope you guys have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kinda bummed about Alohi's choice of book -- why couldn't see mutilate one that I know I'm never going to read and should have donated ages ago?! Instead she chewed up "Angela's Ashes," which I WAS hoping to read! Sigh.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...