Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Book Review: "Then Came You"

"Then Came You" by Jennifer Weiner
First published in 2011
My rating: 4 out of 5

I tried to read one of Jennifer Weiner's books when I was in late high school, or maybe early college. And I did something I seldom do -- I put it down because I just couldn't get into it. Now I'm 26 and, after reading a couple more of Jennifer's books in the last few years, I understand perfectly what the problem was. These novels are about women, for women, and dealing -- with an enviable finesse -- with all the myriad issues women face today, right now in 2012. The keyword here is women. I was a girl when I attempted my first Jennifer Weiner novel, and the themes and plot just didn't apply to me.

"Then Came You" deals with the delicate issue of babies -- particularly, egg donation and surragacy -- and we become intimately acquainted with the four women invovled in the making of one baby. There's Jules, the Princeton senior who donated her eggs so she could use the money to send her addict father to rehab. Annie, the surrogate who will be carrying and delivering the baby, is a young housewife and mother who feels her life lacks both purpose and financial stability. India is a PR executive with a mysterious past who marries a super-wealthy older man, Marcus Croft. After several failed in vitro attempts, the couple decides to go the egg donor/surragacy route. And Bettina is Marcus's 20-something daughter. She's convinced India is a gold digger with her eyes on Marcus's fortune and sets out to uncover the secrets of India's past.

Each of the four women in the novel is completely different from the others. They have totally different lives, backgrounds and socio-economic classes. But they're all connected to the baby, and they all have issues that they're dealing with, mental roadblocks that they're trying to overcome. Together, they make a masterful portrait of America's women.

Happy reading!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...