Monday, October 7, 2013

Books for a Blustery Day

It was a dark and stormy night... and I had my head buried in a book! We had rain, thunder, wind and general fall bluster this weekend, and as I was immersed in Beverly Swerling's "Bristol House," I started thinking about how some stories are just meant to be read -- somehow enhanced -- on a day when you're tucked cozily inside while it's gloomy and inhospitable out, preferably with a cup of tea and a fire blazing.

For me, these books usually involve mystery or fantasy and have some sort of historical element. I've read tons of books that would fall under this category, but here I'm highlighting some on my to-read list; all but two are already sitting on my bookshelves, awaiting the perfect stormy night or perhaps a blizzard. (All images from Goodreads.)

"Bristol House" takes place in England and has a Dan Brown-ish element of imminent danger related to religious history. It even includes the ghost of a monk, haunting the flat in which architectural historian Annie, our protagonist, is staying. I'm a little over halfway through and enjoying the novel so far.

This book has been on my to-read list since it came out, and I've just never gotten to it. It pops up all the time on lists and blogs, so it must be good!
 

I've been toting this book around since college! I spotted it on clearance at Barnes and Noble and couldn't resist picking it up, but I've always put off reading it because of it's massive brick-like size.


Can you think of a better detective to hang out with on a yucky day than Sherlock himself?


This newer release takes place in the 1600s and features a chambermaid as the amateur sleuth.

A few of my favorite blustery day reads:
the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
"A Discovery of Witches" and "Shadow of Night" by Deborah Harkness
the Lady Emily mysteries by Tasha Alexander
"The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova
"The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie R. King
"The Secret Keeper" by Kate Morton
"Death Comes to Pemberley" by P.D. James

Have you read any of these novels? What do you like to read when the weather's crappy and you're stuck inside?

2 comments:

  1. Hang on to all of them. Your blustery days have just begun! Winter is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Thirteenth Tale is PERFECT for a blustery day! The Gothic feel would be great on a chilly day. :) Bristol House is on my TBR as well, though I need to check the library for that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...