Saturday, March 15, 2014

Knitting FO: Hagrid Knits! Shawl

DSCF2332
"People stared even more on the train. Hagrid took up two seats and sat knitting what looked like a canary-yellow circus tent."
-- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Hagrid Knits! is the result of Ysolda Teague's super-fun mystery shawl knit-along, Follow Your Arrow. It was an innovative version of the MKAL because each of the five clues had two different pattern options for knitters to choose from, creating tons of possible variations. In case you're curious, my shawl is comprised entirely of option As.
 
DSCF2345
But it actually didn't start off that way. I began this shawl in a cream yarn (which you can see in this post) and got all the way to the end of clue 4 before I decided to rip it all out and start over. My yarn just seemed too thin and I thought my shawl looked sloppy. Plus, the gorgeous pattern begged for a more eye-catching color choice.

The second go-round, after having the benefit of seeing other knitters' progress, I went in a different direction. The biggest change was starting with clue A (the striped triangle), which altered the entire foundation, shape and look of the shawl.

I listened to "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" on audiobook while I worked on the shawl, thus the name. I was so excited to learn that Hagrid enjoys knitting too!

I absolutely love, love, love my shawl. It's knit in madelinetosh in the Cousteau and Grasshopper colorways. I'd never used madtosh yarn before -- it's a bit of splurge -- but I decided it was time to give it a try and I'm so glad I did. My shawl is gorgeous, vibrant and soft, and now it reminds me of Harry Potter. Here's my Ravelry project page.
 
DSCF2306

1 comment:

  1. Your shawl came out beautifully. The pattern is so intricate and love the colors! I love your Harry Potter quote too. You will always remember this as your "Harry Potter Shawl".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...