Monday, March 17, 2014

Top Animal-Themed Books (Wherein We Learn Of My Love for Dogs and Rabbits)

 This week's prompt for Top 10 Tuesday at The Broke and the Bookish is the top items on your spring to-read list. Surprisingly, I don't really know of any new books coming out this spring that I HAVE to read, and my goal is to finally start my New Year's resolution of reading some of the dozens of books I already own that are gathering dust on my bookshelves.

So, since I missed last week's topic -- the top 10 books in X genre -- I decided to go with that instead. Thus we have:

Top Animal-Themed Books

As you'll see from the list, I clearly gravitate towards dogs and rabbits! I've read many more animal-related books than these but I wanted to include only my favorites.

 
 1. The Daily Coyote by Shreve Stockton
I'll be honest: the main reason I chose this topic is because I've been looking for an excuse to talk about this book on the blog for ages! I read it before I started blogging -- my best friend turned me on to it -- and I absolutely LOVED it. The author picks up and moves from New York City to the middle-of-nowhere Wyoming, raises an orphaned coyote pup and falls in love. The memoir is great, but the real winner is Charlie the coyote and the amazing pictures of him growing up, looking adorable and eventually reveling in his inner wild animal.
 
 2. Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos Montalvan
"Until Tuesday" is the touching story of a service dog and a soldier suffering from both PTSD and physical injuries. Luis and Tuesday were clearly meant for each other. Here's my review.
 
 3. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
This is my favorite animal-themed novel. Told entirely from the dog's perspective, it's got its funny moments but is a more serious book at heart.
 
 4. A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron
I started reading "A Dog's Purpose" a few weeks ago and didn't get more than 50 pages in before our dear, sweet Conan started suddenly started to lose his battle with lymphoma and we had to say goodbye to our boy. Now is not the time for me to read any dog-related books -- I'm sure I would be a weeping mess, no matter how happy the story -- but I absolutely loved the chapters I did read and I know I will be giving this book 5 stars when I pick it up again. Cameron has two other books in a similar vein: "The Dogs of Christmas" (my review) and "A Dog's Journey."
 
 5. Dog On It by Spencer Quinn
The first in a series, this lighthearted mystery narrated by Chet the dog (and featuring his human, Bernie the down-on-his-luck private investigator) is a hilarious good time.
 
 6. Marley and Me by Josh Grogan
This is the most ubiquitous book on my list, already known by all. But any dog owner can relate the the tales of naughty behavior, bemused frustration, laughter and love detailed by Grogan.
 
 7. Bunnicula by James Howe
"Bunnicula" was a childhood favorite of mine and I'm delighted to see how many kids still check it out at the library today. Bunnicula features not only a rabbit with fangs but an intrepid dog and cat who aim to figure out their newest housemate's secret.


On My To-Read List
These all have great ratings on Goodreads and I fully expect to love them once I get around to reading them... maybe this spring. New Year's resolution, here I come!
 



Dog, dog, dog, rabbit. I'm sensing a trend... and a new version of duck, duck, goose!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...