Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Chicago/Lollapalooza 2014: Days 1-2

Well, it's about time that I finally post these pictures of our awesome weekend in Chicago for the Lollapalooza music festival at the beginning of August. What an amazing, crazy, jam-packed time we had! I was muddy, exhausted and forever ruined for the radio (and port-a-potties, gak!) after three days at Lolla. We saw at least part of 17 shows and they were pretty much all fantastic.

We went with my 20-year-old brother, Andy, and we were definitely on the older end of the crowd. It was funny to keep thinking "kids these days!" -- only to remember that we were young and crazy not all that long ago. Although we never could get over the horrific return of "high-waisted shorts" and fanny packs (my fingers are crossed that this was just "festival wear" and not actually coming back into fashion). And -- at least to the best of my memory -- we never got so (publically) intoxicated that we had to be strapped onto a special golf cart designed specifically for passed-out, vomit-covered people and carted off to the medical tent. Kids these days! Sigh.

(Here's my post for days 3-4.)

DSCF4003
One of things on my must-do list was take a picture with The Bean. It's even cooler in real life!
 
DSCF4016
Underneath The Bean. This is like a page of "Where's Waldo?"! I'm right smack in the middle, about half an inch up.
 
Chicago-5
I just couldn't get over how awesome this sculpture/art installation/giant fun-house mirror/reflective kidney bean was!
 
IMG_0929
 
IMG_0927
Andy and Jarrod imitating the four-armed guy on the Lolla sign.
 
DSCF4044
Our first night we enjoyed a delicious deep-dish pizza at Lou Malnati's. Yummmm!
 
DSCF4002
 
DSCF4039
Two stoic lions guard the Chicago Art Institute.
  
DSCF4113
Visiting the art museum was my favorite part of the entire trip. I'd go back there in a heartbeat. We were pretty rushed for time, and I'd like a chance to just sit and contemplate all the stunning artwork. Here we are with the Seurat painting made (even more) famous by Ferris Bueller.
 
DSCF4137
The Impressionist wing was my favorite. There was an entire room devoted to Claude Monet! Above are his hay stacks.
 
08-04-14 Lollapalooza1
 Above and below are a few of the gorgeous paintings we saw: Monet, Renoir, Degas, Picasso, Van Gogh... so beautiful. And that sculpture in the upper right is from the 1st century! What do you think the people who made that would say if they could see the city in which their statue sits today?
 
08-04-14 Lollapalooza2
 
DSCF4145
Andy and me with a lovely Georgia O'Keefe. I like how our outfit perfectly coordinate with the painting!
 
DSCF4156
We had Chicago-style hot dogs for lunch. Again, yummmm!
 
IMG_0936
And then we headed into Lolla for our first day of craziness. Above is CHVRCHES, the second show we caught. (The first was the tail-end of Iggy Azalea.) Note the floral headbands, the '90s shorts and the balloons.
 
IMG_0957
My current favorite band, Broken Bells.
 
IMG_1006
And Eminem!!! This was my favorite Lollapalooza show -- by far the best for crowd energy. And he was amazing. And Rihanna was there!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures and I'm sure awesome memories. Anytime you want to go back, I'll be happy to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures and I'm sure awesome memories. Anytime you want to go back, I'll be happy to go with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...