Thursday, July 30, 2015

I Judge Books By Their Covers: "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry"

Hello, my name is Lindsay, and I judge books by their covers.

Confession: I always judge books by their covers. A book's appearance -- from the artwork to the font to the colors to the texture to the weight and cut of the pages (I like the ragged-edged ones) -- is very important to me. And there are certain kinds of covers I like and certain ones I'd never pick up unless I was already planning to read the book. It's fascinating to see how covers change between editions -- hardcover and paperback, or U.S. and international. I'm always discussing book covers with my co-workers at the library, so I thought it would be fun to share some beautiful -- and awful -- covers here!

 The cover on the left is the U.S. paperback, the right is U.S. hardcover. (These are the two I discuss below.)

 The cover on the left is the Canadian hardcover, the right is the U.K. hardcover.

The U.K. paperback.

I'm only talking about the two U.S. covers -- they're definitely the best of these five editions.

"The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry" was one of my favorite books of 2014 (here's my review), and I really like both of these charming, whimsical covers. I had absolutely no problem with the original hardback version (what bookworm wouldn't like a drawing of a baby in a basket with a book!?), but when I first laid eyes on the paperback it was an instant favorite.

What a stroke of genius to put the original hardback cover on display in the bookshop window! Everything about the paperback cover is warm and inviting -- it makes me want to open up the book -- or better yet, walk into the painting and visit that welcoming, cheery little shop. The paperback cover stayed true to its predecessor -- pops of red on neutrals, lowercase letter Is, and a predominant book theme -- but there's so much more going on. The choice is easy -- the paperback is the clear winner here. How can it not be, when it incorporates the wonderful original cover and has a charm all its own? Do tell: which cover do you prefer?

Winner: U.S. paperback

(A few thoughts on the other editions pictured: the Canadian cover is pretty, but it's lacking a major element -- books (otherwise known as "which one is not like the others?")! The U.K. hardback cover definitely has some whimsical artwork and I do kind of like the wonky bookshelves, but overall it looks a little sloppy and cheap to me. And the U.K. paperback -- just meh. Doesn't do anything for me.)

5 comments:

  1. Oh I complETELY agree. I actually have the hardcover Canadian cover, which you're right, though pretty does NOT have books. I've been coveting the softcover US version since I first set eyes on it, and no matter how many times I tell myself I don't need two copies.... I wants it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the paperback today when out perusing books at Target. The cover definitely caught my eye. The paperback is the clear winner. I didn't realize that there could be so many book covers for one boom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's crazy! And sometimes there's even a different title. I have a book cover comparison for "The Bookseller" coming up later this week and the German book has a whole other title!

      Delete
    2. I know, it's crazy! And sometimes there's even a different title. I have a book cover comparison for "The Bookseller" coming up later this week and the German book has a whole other title!

      Delete
  3. I love this one too! I just read it in March. Agreed on your winner here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...