Monday, July 27, 2015

Monday Musings

FullSizeRender

Highlight(s) of the week: It's a tie! Jarrod and I dog-sat a friend's 5 1/2-month old, 80-pound(+) Great Dane puppy, Duke, and he was so much fun! I absolutely loved his joyful, exuberant puppy gusto. And he was such a good, sweet boy! It was so, so nice to have a dog in the house again. It's been almost a year and a half since our Conan passed away and we've been talking about adding a new furry member to the family. Maybe sooner than later...

We also attended my cousin's wedding on Saturday, and it was really nice to hang out with some of my relatives! That's my wonderful grandma in the picture above. Jarrod and I clean up pretty nice, huh? ;)

Reading: I finished up "Circling the Sun" (which was awesome!) and started "The Kill Artist," the first in Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series (the 15th book of the series just came out). I'm about a third of the way done and it's ok so far. I'm not totally sucked in, though, and I'm wondering if I should've just dove into one of the newer books instead of starting at the beginning. Fingers crossed that it gets gripping fast! I'm also still listening to "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" on audiobook while knitting. There was a Harry Potter movie marathon on ABC Family this weekend and I had to force myself not to watch the "Half-Blood Prince" movie just yet! (Not that I haven't already read the book and seen the movie a zillion times! But still!)

IMG_2726

Knitting: I didn't knit a whole lot with Duke here last week, but I did have a chance to work on my BlueSand Cardigan last night. I tried it on and noticed that it seemed really short compared to other people's photos. I measured my sweater against the prescribed gauge and I'm almost an inch too small! Crap! Double crap! (In English, for every four inches of sweater there should be, I only have 3. You can see the problem.)

Ironically, for once in my life I actually did a gauge swatch and ended up going down two needle sizes to get gauge. Now I'm thinking I should have just screwed the gauge swatch like I normally do and knitted with the needle size in the pattern. I feel like I could cry every time I think about it. Do I knit on and hope it all blocks out to fit ok, or do I rip it allllll out and start fresh? Le sigh.

Watching: We watched "Woman in Gold" the other night and it was pretty good. It reminded me a lot of a novel I read a few weeks ago, "The Girl You Left Behind" by Jojo Moyes. Both deal with art restitution -- returning works of art stolen by the Nazis to their rightful owners.

Eating: Yesterday Duke helped me make (and by help I mean taste-tested) some blackberry cheesecake bars to take into work, and they were pretty tasty. I pretty much love anything made with cream cheese. Add fresh berries to the mix and I'm done for! (Here's the recipe, from the Pioneer Woman.)

Looking forward to: Finishing up the rest of last season's "Downton Abbey" episodes on the DVR this week! And one of my co-workers told me where I can get some of that special Downton Abbey tea. Maybe I'll go buy some to sip while I watch the show!

I'll leave you with one more picture of this big ol' kissable face. Have a good week!

DSCF8192

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...