Sunday, October 1, 2017

Turning the Page on September 2017


september collage

*Back toward the beginning of September Jarrod and I took a short little weekend getaway to Kauai, our favorite Hawaiian island. We lounged on the beach, hiked to a waterfall and ate some amazing food. Sigh... take me back!

*It was a super-busy month at work for me. In a one-thing-after-another kind of situation, the library ended up being pretty short-staffed in September so I worked some extra hours to help out. And I also got to fill in for preschool storytime twice, which was so much fun!

*We had professional family photos taken at the beach with Alohi last week for our Christmas cards and, as expected, it was a bit of a disaster -- a certain someone is probably going to be completely covered with sand in every picture. But the photographer -- a friend of a friend -- is soooo talented and I'm sure she'll make them look amazing. I can't wait to see!

*Fall arrived! That doesn't mean much here in Hawaii, but I did drink several pumpkin spice lattes, bake pumpkin cookies, and get out all my fall decorations. Plus I was excited about the return of fall TV, especially This Is Us.

*In other TV/movie news, we finished the latest season of Homeland and the final season of Orphan Black and finally started watching the most recent trio of Sherlock episodes.


september books

Books read: 5
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (for kids' book club) // 3 stars
Red Sister by Mark Lawrence // 5 stars
Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton // 3 stars
The Scribe of Siena by Melodie Winawer // 3 stars
American Eclipse by David Baron // 4 stars

Currently reading: Himself by Jess Kidd and One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson

Favorite book: Red Sister, the first in a new fantasy series! It was one of the best books I've read this year.

Biggest let-down: Good Morning, Midnight wasn't a bad book, but it was so far off from what I had been anticipating.

October release I'm most looking forward to: Either Dan Brown's new Robert Langdon book or From Here to Eternity by Caitlin Doughty; I loved her first book, a memoir about working in the funeral industry, and this one is about death practices across the globe.

Book I'm most excited to read in October: The third illustrated Harry Potter is about to be released and I'd really love to read all three at once. I just had to have the other two right when they came out... but I've yet to actually read them!

Current library checkouts:
Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett, The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan, The Marsh King's Daughter by Karen Dionne and Quiet Until the Thaw by Alexandra Fuller

Books added to to-read list: 10 (but I deleted a couple hundred!)

Most intriguing TBR addition: The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. I don't read much middle-grade fiction, but now that I'm doing the kids' book club at work I feel like I should. Plus a patron was absolutely raving about this book, and it sounds right up my alley!

From Goodreads: Nine-year-old Ada has never left her one-room apartment. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada’s twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn’t waste a minute -- she sneaks out to join him. So begins a new adventure of Ada, and for Susan Smith, the woman who is forced to take the two kids in. As Ada teaches herself to ride a pony, learns to read, and watches for German spies, she begins to trust Susan -- and Susan begins to love Ada and Jamie. But in the end, will their bond be enough to hold them together through wartime? Or will Ada and her brother fall back into the cruel hands of their mother?

Favorite bookstagram: This photo has so many things in it that make me happy: my new watch, my new couch pillows, a pumpkin spice latte, a book and a picture of the Rocky Mountains. Find me on Instagram @knittinglindsay!

IMG_6258


Favorite post: My Fall 2017 To-Read List. Even though I don't always follow them, I loooove putting together quarterly to-read posts!

Book reviews:
The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry (4 stars)
Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton (3 stars)
The Scribe of Siena by Melodie Winawer (3 stars)

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...