Monday, November 7, 2011

Swimmin' In A Water Wonderland

IMG_0955
On Sunday Jarrod and I took a new friend to our favorite snorkeling spot in Hawaii (on the planet?), Hanauma Bay. We had a fantastic time, as always, but we saw even more amazing wildlife than normal. We went much later in the day than usual, about 4 p.m., and I guess it was dinner time for the sea turtles because we saw tons of these graceful honu.

IMG_0957


IMG_0970


IMG_0980


IMG_0934
We also saw our first octopus! This thrilled me the most, because I have a mental list of wildlife I want to see while we're in Hawaii and an ocotopus was one of the last critters on the list that we hadn't yet encountered.

IMG_0931
I was fascinated by the force with which he shot water out of his siphon (that tube over by his eye). I was really hoping he'd come out of the rocks so we could see his tentacles and suction cups. He didn't do that, but at least he posed for some photos!

IMG_0977
As always, we saw hundreds of beautiful fish. This is the Hawaiian state fish, a triggerfish known in Hawaiian as humuhumunukunukuapua'a.

IMG_0965

1 comment:

  1. These are amzaing pictures of the sea turtles and the octupus. What a fun time you are having in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...