Thursday, February 21, 2013

Book Review: "Where We Belong"

"Where We Belong" by Emily Giffin
First published in 2012
372 pages
My rating: 4 .5 out of 5

(image source)

I've read all but one of Emily Giffin's novels (and seen the movie version of "Something Borrowed) and I'd say this is far and away her best work. It'll still appeal to the heart of pretty much every woman everywhere, but it's not as chick-lit-y or centered on romance as her previous novels.

In "Where We Belong," Giffin uses her deft hand to bring two distinct voices to the story. Kirby, who was adopted as a newborn, lately feels like she just doesn't fit in with her family. She recently turned 18 and is finally able to learn the name of her birth mother, should she so choose. Desperately seeking answers about who she is and where she came from she shows up unannounced at her mother's New York City doorstep.

Kirby's birth mother is Marian Caldwell, creator, producer and writer for a network television show. Marian's life looks predictably perfect from the outside -- she's wealthy, famous, has the job she's always wanted and is dating the handsome and powerful network CEO. But nobody in her life knows she had a baby at 18 -- the only person she ever confided in was her mother. Kirby's arrival -- half hoped for, half dreaded by Marian -- shortly after her 18th birthday will force Marian to confront the choices she made when she herself was 18.

Giffin is very talented at giving her characters a unique voice, at making them feel real, and at convincing readers to like them despite any good, bad or questionable things they may have done. She's very adept at writing about and for women, and I think any woman would be both fascinated and touched by this story of secrets and lies, love and family, acceptance and belonging.

1 comment:

  1. My book club read this a few months back, but I skipped it because I thought it seemed too much like "chick lit." Sounds like I shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I may have to revisit this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...