Thursday, October 29, 2015

Happy Halloween, Love Hermione Granger

hermione1
Halloween is almost upon us, and I've been lucky to get to dress up for work at the library twice already. I'll don my Hermione costume one more time when I work on Saturday before it gets packed away for another year. Let me tell you, I love working at an awesome place filled with people who like to dress up for the holidays! Today we had a Jack Sparrow, a Sherlock Holmes, a Captain Hook, Peter Pan and Wendy, a Fancy Nancy, a Link from The Legend of Zelda, and a Snow White!

hermione2
I made myself a wand to compliment my costume this year. It was super-easy and you'd never guess it's made from a wooden dowel and hot glue! There are tons of tutorials for this kind of wand-making online, but here's the one I used. The DIY instructions use chopsticks, but I used a wooden dowel cut to size and I sanded one of the ends down to be narrower and rounded. (FYI, my wand is vine wood like Hermione's, but with a [pretend] core of boxer dog whisker.)

hermione3
I also enhanced my outfit with a hand-knitted Gryffindor scarf -- complete with S.P.E.W. button. Did you know that Hermione's Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare is only in the books, not the movies? I didn't realize that until I was looking for a S.P.E.W. button online (no luck there). I could tell the true Potter-lovers by who got my badge and who didn't! (More on my scarf here.) I think the only thing I need to make my outfit perfect for next year is a time-turner necklace. Etsy, here I come!

Do tell: what are YOU going to be for Halloween?

1 comment:

  1. Cute Hermione outfit! I think I would like to dress up as her or Luna one day for Halloween, but no costume for me this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...