Sunday, May 1, 2016

2015 Travel Recap: Colorado Part 1: Lost Lake and Pikes Peak

You can see part one of my travel recap (Hawaii) here, part two (Gettysburg) here, part three (New York City) here, and part four (the Biltmore and the Smokies) here.

In September Jarrod and I headed back to my home state of Colorado to visit my family and imbibe in some Rocky Mountain air. The weather was perfect, and we got to spend lots of time in the mountains. We hiked to Lost Lake, a breathtaking mountain lake near Buena Vista, with my parents, and Jarrod and I drove up Pikes Peak. I'd been to the summit a million times, but Jarrod had only been to the top via the cog railway and it was long past time for him to experience the fun of driving up the curvy mountain road -- sans guardrails! We also spent two wonderful days in Rocky Mountain National Park, which will be a separate post.


lost lake
Lost Lake. Absolutely stunning.

lost lake collage

pikes peak 2
At the Pikes Peak summit, 14,110 feet!

pikes peak 1
Me and my new friend.

pikes peak collage
We enjoyed the must-have high-elevation donuts and hot chocolate at the summit house, and on the way back down we stopped at an alpine meadow and visited with several yellow-bellied marmots, one of my favorite animals.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful trip! I've not been to Pikes Peak or Lost Lake (yet), but thoroughly enjoyed vacationing in Creed about 10 years ago. I'd love to get back to Colorado. Marmots are fun; we saw some a few years ago in Banff National Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pikes Peak is a must! Driving up is fun and gives you the opportunity to stop along the way to take pictures or have a picnic, but the cog railway is really cool too. The Lost Lake hike is kinda out in the middle of nowhere, but I thought it was totally worth the drive. The entire hike was beautiful, and the lake with its turquoise water was just stunning!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...