Monday, May 30, 2016

Monday Musings: Aloha!

IMG_1692_1

Highlight of the week: Well, here we are on Oahu! Unfortunately, Hawaii hasn't gone out of its way to welcome us this go-round. It's been unusually rainy and humid, traffic is even worse than I remember it (partly due to light rail construction) and we're having a bit of a tough time finding a place to live. I will say, though, that it's nice to be in flip-flops again. And the silver lining to the rain is all the gorgeous impromptu waterfalls it creates along the H-3 through the Koolau Mountains!

Reading: I didn't get much reading done at all this week, but I did start and finish "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn. It was a solid 4-star read, and I definitely blew through it once I got into the story. (I actually didn't read much on the plane, like I'd planned, because Delta had on-demand movies in the seatback, which was awesome!) I'm hoping to watch the movie version soon, though I totally cannot see Charlize Theron as Libby. Now I'm reading an advance copy of "June" by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore, which comes out tomorow. I enjoyed her first book, "Bittersweet," and I'm expecting to like "June," but I'm not far enough in yet to say. I do love the cover, though!


Watching: We watched a few more episodes of this season's "Fear the Walking Dead." It's nice to have something to watch in our hotel room, and I'm interested, but I definitely don't feel the connection to the characters that I do with the original show. (And every time I catch myself ogling Nick, I remember that he played little-boy Voldemort. Eek!)

Eating: Authentic Thai food, something we sorely missed in Dayton! Our very first meal after we got off the plane Wednesday was pad Thai, spring rolls and Thai iced tea.

IMG_1647

Looking forward to: Finding a house! And, even though it means we'll have to move out of base lodging because they don't take pets, I'm looking forward to our kitty, Lily, joining us on Thursday.

*


I'm linking up with Kathryn at Book Date for her weekly feature, It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

10 comments:

  1. Aloha! Glad you made it to Hawaii! That Thai food looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! It was sooooo nice to devour some good Thai food. We searched in vain in Ohio for authentic Thai and never found anything nearly as good as the Thai restaurants that are on every corner on Oahu!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the house hunt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsey! It's proving far more challenging this time around than it was last time, but we're also much more picky this time. I'm sure the right thing will come along! (I'm just tired of living out of a hotel in the meantime!)

      Delete
  3. Best of luck finding a place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous picture! Good luck finding a home - and ooh, loved Dark Places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! I really enjoyed "Dark Places" too, though I thought it was different from Gillian Flynn's other books. Have you seen the movie?

      Delete
  5. I hadn't realized Nick was the young Voldemort. Hmm. Now I have to take a closer look! I haven't felt the same connection with the new series either. It's been an interesting season so far though, hasn't it?

    I am glad you are safe and sound in Hawaii. I hope you find a place to live soon!

    June was so good! I really enjoyed it. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's weird! The first episode of "FTWD" we watched, I was like, "Where do I know that guy from?" Sure enough, evil little Tom Riddle!

      I'm about 2/3 done with "June" now and loving it! We just had a big reveal of sorts. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...