Thursday, August 4, 2011

Inspiration: A Day In My Life

Today I'm participating in the Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop for the first time. Pity I missed last week's workshop, when the prompt was "The Beach." Living in Hawaii, I'd have had that done in no time. This week's prompt was a bit more difficult -- "A Day In Your Life." My days have been pretty boring lately. My husband has been gone for the past month attending some pre-deployment training and I quit my job in June and haven't really started looking for a new one just yet. That means I have a lot of free time, which is both good and bad. So, without further ado, here's how I spend my days:


Since I don't have anywhere to be in the mornings right now, I generally sleep in until about 8:15 or so. This is one part of not working that I have absolutely no complaints about! I feed my boxer, Conan, and my kitty, Lily, and then eat my own breakfast. About 9, I'll leash up Conan and take him for his morning walk. Every day, I marvel at the gorgeous flowers in my neighborhood. We've got hibiscus, plumeria, bougainvillea, ginger flowers, birds of paradise. If it's damp out in the morning, the air is thick with the fragrances of all the flowering trees and plants.



A couple weeks ago, I finally caught up with everyone else in my generation and got my first smartphone. I vowed not to be one of those people who's constantly on their phone playing games and downloading apps. I've only gotten a handful of interesting and useful apps, like Google Sky Map and a barcode scanner. But I still use the phone to check my Facebook and e-mail frequently. And, since Jarrod took the the laptop with him, it's nice to be able to do a quick Google search without having go to upstairs.


It might seem a bit ironic since I just talked about all the online communication I partake in, but I really enjoy writing letters and sending cards. I love the feeling of opening up the mailbox and seeing an actual piece of personal mail in between the layers junk and I want to give that happy feeling to others. It saddens me that letter-writing is a dying art. Sure, I can communicate the same things in an e-mail. But there's just something about holding a piece of paper in your hands, with another person's actual pen-and-ink writing on it, that makes you know you're loved and cared about.


Right now, I usually spend my afternoons either knitting, reading or watching a movie (or all of the above).


It's impossible to go anywhere on Oahu and not be able to see the gorgeous Ko'olau Mountain Range. It's stunning, and I'm always fascinated by how much different these mountains look from the (equally stunning) ones in my home state of Colorado. Unfortunately, this is not the view from my house (although we still have a pretty awesome view). I took this on the Windward (east) side of Oahu a few weeks ago as we were heading home from an afternoon of snorkeling.


Jarrod and I try to get to the beach pretty regularly, and I've made sure to haul myself to the beach even while he's been gone. I love to sit in my beach chair with the warmth of the sun on my shoulders and read a book while listening to the soothing sounds of the surf. This is my favorite beach on the island, Bellows. It's military-only, so if you go on a weekday when everyone's at work it's pretty much silent. And the scenery truly can't be beat.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures. I love the one of you and you new phone. I would go to the beach any day. To get to immerse my toes in that blue, blue water would be divine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...