Monday, March 14, 2016

Monday Musings

gobolinks
Check out this wacky gem (copyright 1869) I came across at work on Saturday. As the book explains, a "gobolink" is what's created when you drip some ink on a page, fold it in half, and analyze the symmetrical image you've created. The book is full of ink splat drawings and funny little poems to go with them. The joys of working at a library!

Highlight of the week: It was a pretty rough, blah week for me. But I did enjoy our AWOLNATION/Fall Out Boy concert on Wednesday night (even though I was recovering from a bout of food poisoning or maybe a short-term stomach bug at the time -- ugh!).

Reading: I started the historical fiction novel "The Song of Hartgrove Hall" by Natasha Solomons and I reeeeally wanted to like it, but it just wasn't what I'm in the mood for right now. With the impending move, I need something easy and engrossing, and "Hartgrove" was a bit of a slow-starter, so I ended up putting it down after about 40 pages. Instead I picked up "The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend" by Katrina Bivald, which is only slightly more engrossing -- but it's due back to the library and has holds on it, so it moved itself to the top of the queue.

Watching: Last week I did pretty well with my goal of getting a bunch of stuff on the DVR watched before the move -- thanks in part to the aforementioned stomach problems and a sick day from work. I only have one episode of "Downton Abbey" left and I'll probably watch it after work today. I'm sad that the series has come to a close, but I'm excited to see how things end up for everyone. I must say, one of my favorite parts of the show has been the evolving fashions and this season has the most stunning costumes yet! I don't have the right figure for those low-waisted flapper dresses but I want them ALL!

Buying: I bought my first Funko Pop figurine! After much deliberation I chose the Quidditch Harry Potter. If you're not familiar with Funko Pops (which I learned about from fellow book nerds on Instagram), they're little vinyl figurines from basically every fandom you can think of, ranging from Harry Potter to Game of Thrones to "Sherlock" to "Back to the Future." I'm pretty sure there's no way I can stop at just one! (I also finally bought "Morning Star" by Pierce Brown, the Red Rising trilogy-ender. If you haven't read "Red Rising" yet, do it!!!)

IMG_0861


Listening to:

Looking forward to: The move being over. I think I'm more stressed about this move than any of our past six! And the election being over. I hate all the candidates (at least the ones who have a chance of making it to the general election) and I'm sooooo sick of freaking Fox News election coverage (looking at you, my dear husband) that I could smash the TV! (Sorry, rant is officially over.)

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean with the election this year. Your Harry Potter is so cute. I can't even begin to imagine how stressful movie across the country would be. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...