Monday, January 9, 2017

Monday Musings

I saw this when I was glancing at the local news on my phone Saturday night and it cracked me up. It's sad but true that mid-60s is bundle-up weather here in Hawaii!

IMG_3497
Before you get too jealous that I live in "paradise," though, just look at the price of that tiny container of dried dill! Dill was a must-have ingredient in our Sunday night dinner and both military commissaries were totally out. So we decided to brave Safeway -- and man, did my eyes bug out when I saw that price tag! We ended up going with a pack of fresh dill for $4.

My week: I'm starting the new year off with some sort of sinus problem (mild cold?!) so that's been fun. Though I can't complain too much -- last weekend Jarrod stepped on glass while he was surfing and gashed the shit out of his foot (and then refused to go get the stitches that he most definitely needed), and my mom actually broke her foot last week and is now tromping around town in walking boot. Not an altogether fabulous start to the year for the Robinson-Silcox family!

Reading: It's the week of advance-read books for me! I finished "The River at Night" by Erica Ferencik (out Tuesday), a thriller about a rafting trip in the Maine wilderness gone horiffically wrong, and then read "The Second Mrs. Hockaday" by Susan Rivers (also out Tuesday), an epistolary novel set during and after the Civil War. Now I'm reading a novel about nurses in WWII, out January 17, "The Fire by Night" by Teresa Messineo.


Knitting: Jarrod and I are about to become an uncle and aunt for the first time -- not under the most optimal circumstances (it was unplanned to say the least), but that doesn't mean I haven't had a blast shopping for baby stuff! This week I worked on a little baby hat for our new niece. I got the yarn on Kauai at a little shop called Hanalei Strings and it reminds me of a Hawaiian sunset.

knit baby hat

Watching: Since we finished "Stranger Things" and "Westworld," it was time to pick a new show. We decided on last season's "Homeland" since we've got it saved on the DVR and the new season starts this month! As much as those other two shows were unique and intriguing, "Homeland" is soooooo much better.

I also FINALLY started watching "Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life" and I've gotten through the first three episodes. I wasn't too impressed with Winter and Spring, but Summer had a lot more action and now I'm dying to know how everything turns out in the final episode. (Though, honestly, I could have done without "Stars Hollow: The Musical"!)

Listening to: I can't stop listening to this song since I heard it on "Stranger Things" a few weeks ago. The show definitely gave me a shot of '80s nostalgia and I've been listening to '80s mixes on Spotify!



And for something more modern, the new Fitz and the Tantrums! We got to see this band a Lollapalooza in 2014 and they were super-fun live!


Eating: A chocolate-almond croissant from my favorite restaurant/bakery! Yum! I split it in half and had it for breakfast Saturday and Sunday.

Drinking: Hot tea by the gallon to soothe my throat.

Blogging:
Monday Musings: Happy 2017
Playing Catch-Up: My Winter 2017 Reading List
Yarn Along: An Owl Puff and "The Second Mrs. Hockaday"
Turning the Page on December 2016
2017 New Year's Goals
Upcoming Release: The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
Upcoming Release: The River at Night by Erica Ferencik

Looking forward to: A three-day weekend! Plus President's Day weekend next month; we decided to take a little trip to the Big Island. I've been dying to go see where the lava is flowing into the ocean. We took an amazing lava hike last time we lived here, but the lava wasn't going into the ocean then. Now you can take a boat tour to see it and it looks spectacular!

I'm linking up with Kathryn of Book Date for It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

8 comments:

  1. I know it's only Monday, but I desperately need the three-day weekend I have coming up. I also really enjoy Fitz and the Tantrums and am currently hooked on Hand Clap. Fall is definitely my favorite Year in the Life episode. And yes, I totally agree about the musical. I have come to the conclusion I still enjoyed the regular episodes best, but did enjoy visiting Luke and Lorelai again. Hope you and your hubby are feeling better soon. And that is an outrageous price for dill!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at the weather forecast. We had freezing rain in Alabama. I love your seahorse tattoo!

    Also, I love everyone who shares what they're watching and listening to in their posts. I might start doing that in my posts.

    Check out my What I'm Reading post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents live in Arizona and my father called yesterday to tell me how cold it was--it was like 60! And sometimes they had to wear a jacket!

    Meanwhile, I'm iced in. Oh well!

    It looks like you have some interesting books going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 60 is swimming weather where I live and about 60 degrees warmer than it was when I got up today. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I was "suffering" with 60+ degree weather. LOL. The Second Mrs. Hockaday looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the sunny and warm temps, even that "cold" 60 degrees! It is cold and snowy here in Oregon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The River at Night caught my eye. I hope you enjoy it, and all of your books. Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice week!!

    The Second Mrs. Hockaday looks good.

    I hope your week has been good.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...