Tuesday, July 26, 2011

How To Make A Hanging Earring Holder

My bathroom drawer used to be a jumbled mess of hair ties, floss, makeup and jewelry. But, inspired by a project I saw in a magazine several months ago, I fashioned myself a wall-hanging earring holder and the bottom of my drawer is visible once again! The project was fun and easy and it's open to tons of interpretation. Here's what I did:


Commandeer an old picture frame. I got mine for free from a friend. It's kind of an odd size, roughly 10 by 20 inches. I would recommend using at least an 11x14. You can leave the frame as is if you like the look, or alter the appearance with paint, stain, decoupage, etc.


I applied two coats of white paint, then attempted a dry brush technique (for the first time, so it looks a little sloppy) with light blue paint to match the color scheme in my bathroom. I wanted the design on the frame to stand out, so I left it white.

I was torn between using mesh screen (like for a screen door), wire or ribbon for the hanging surface, but I decided to go with mesh because I figured it would allow me to fit more earrings on. I didn't like the look of the black against the white and blue, so I spray painted the mesh white.


After the paint on the mesh dried, I hot-glued it to the back of the frame. (A staple gun would probably be the best bet, but I don't have one.) I had originally intended to simply nail a picture hanger to the back of the frame, but when I was searching for my glue gun I came across some leftover tulle that I had used for our wedding decorations. I attached that to the back for the hanger and was thrilled with the result!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I was just thinking that I needed to make an earring holder. Now I definitely have to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Creative!! Great way to use an old picture frame. Now you'll have plenty of room for some new earings to hang up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...