Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Knitting FO: Ohio State Earwarmer Headband

DSCF1757
 
My best friend Katie came for a visit in December and she casually mentioned that she'd like a knit Ohio State-themed earband. Since I was supposed to knit her a hat for Christmas and didn't get around to it, I immediately jumped on the earband project.

It was a super simple and it looks adorable on Katie. I knit the headband in soft, creamy Malabrigo Worsted in polar morn, using The Whitney Headband pattern on Ravelry.
 
DSCF1772
The pattern suggested adorning the headband with a crocheted flower, but since I can't crochet (yet) I used a knit flower from a different pattern that another Raveler had used for the headband. Oh boy, did that simple-looking little flower ever turn into a pain! It uses extremely quick increases to achieve the ruffles and I ended up juggling a ridiculous amount of DPNs in two different sizes to divide all the stitches. Knitting those increasingly tight stitches made my fingers hurt like nobody's business but there was no way I was going to let that damn little flower beat me! If I ever make this project again, I won't be using the same flower -- learning to crochet a flower probably would have taken less effort than this one did!

DSCF1771
Katie and I took a trip to Joann and found just the right button to complete the flower. I really like how this speedy little project turned out! If you ever need a last-minute handknit gift, keep this earband in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...