Monday, March 6, 2017

Monday Musings

DSCF4139

DSCF4155
Alohi's exploring her boxer roots! ;)

My week: It was a pretty quiet week around here. I was busy at work putting together a big Battle of the Books display in the library's kids' section, which is set up a like March Madness bracket with children's book characters that patrons vote on. (I'll post some photos soon.) And I also made a little St. Patrick's Day display with books by Irish authors.

Reading: I finished "Dead Letters," a suspense novel about a set of twins and a very dysfunctional family, and I really wasn't all that impressed. Then I read the lighthearted romance "The Hating Game," which seems to be all over blogger-land lately, and after a shaky start I did end up enjoying it! Now I'm just a few pages into "Carve the Mark," Veronica Roth's new book. Definitely different from "Divergent" so far, but I really enjoy sci-fi these days and I have high hopes!


Knitting: I made some good progress on my Je t'aime Hat (from the From Norway With Love pattern). It's teal with white hearts. Look for a picture on my Yarn Along post this Wednesday -- maybe it'll be done by then!

Watching: I actually watched some stuff from the DVR this week (pats self on back) -- a few episodes of "Grey's Anatomy." We also watched a couple more episodes of "House of Cards."

Looking forward to: Hopefully heading to the beach this week! Jarrod's gone surfing a few times, but I haven't been since we got Alohi a month ago.

*I'm linking up with Kathryn of Book Date for It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

15 comments:

  1. You are bringing lots of culture to your library world. I wonder who I could promote in my primary library from Ireland? I will have to think on that.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/03/dr-seuss-is-on-loose-at-stevenson.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I thought of several adult authors off the top of my head, but I can't think of a single kids' book author! Surely there must be a few well-known ones?

      Delete
  2. That puppy <3. I cannot wait to read The Hating Game. I have been on the hold list forever on Overdrive, but at least I have a million other books to read while I wait. Curious to hear your thoughts on Carve the Mark. Been seeing a lot of mixed reviews.
    Sam @WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get into "The Hating Game" but I ended up really enjoying it! I just thought the office antics at the beginning were really childish and I found Lucy to be a bit of a drama queen, but eventually I grew to like both main characters and I was definitely invested in the romance!

      I'm about 125 pages into "Carve the Mark" -- so far, so good! It's got way more of a sci-fi/fantasy bent than the Divergent books, but that's right up my alley.

      Delete
  3. As always, that pup is adorable. Sorry you didn't care much for Dead Letters. I just finished a book that was OK, but not spectacular so I know how that feels. Hopefully you will make it to to beach. You probably need some time to kick back because being a puppy-mom can take a lot out of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Alohi has some pretty bad separation anxiety (which causes her to stress-poop in her crate), so I haven't really gone anywhere but work unless Jarrod is home. We're working on it, though! :)

      Delete
    2. One of our boxers had separation anxiety so badly we finally had to put him on meds. He eventually grew out of it but not before he ended up hurting himself in the crate (which we had to stop using for that reason) and eating a couch. I feel for you.

      Delete
  4. The puppy is so darling. I'd never have time to read playing with him all day! I'm curious to know what you didn't like about Dead Letters. I've heard a lot of good, but not read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to like "Dead Letters" but I just could not get invested in the story or the characters. And I think it was marketed a bit poorly... it sounded like a thriller but it's much more of a dysfunctional family novel. I have a full review up if you're interested! :)

      Delete
  5. Cute pictures with your puppy. I look forward to this library display - I love how creative these can be. I hope you enjoy your current reads. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get a post together about the Battle of the Books later this week. It was fun going in to work today and seeing which characters came out on top of round 1!

      Delete
  6. I liked Dead Letters but though it was less of a mystery and more of a dysfunctional family saga. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! That is exactly what I wrote in my review. I'm not a huge fan of those types of novels (I need likable characters!!!) so I may not have requested it in the first place if it'd been marketing more accurately.

      Delete
  7. I started The Hating Game, but set it aside. Will pick it up again. Looking forward to the Roth book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost gave up on "The Hating Game" around page 50 and it took another 50 pages for me to really get into it, but I did end up liking it!

      So far I'm really enjoying "Carve the Mark"!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...