Saturday, August 11, 2012

Book Review: "Death by Darjeeling"

"Death by Darjeeling" by Laura Childs
First published in 2001
My rating: 3.5 out of 5

"Death by Darjeeling" is a charming little murder mystery set in Charleston, South Carolina. A despised property developer keels over dead after drinking a cup of tea from the Indigo Tea Shop at Charleston's annual Lamplighter Tour, an evening walking tour of quaint, historic Charleston held in late October. After a friend and occasional assistant at the tea shop becomes a suspect, Indigo Tea Shop owner Theodosia Browning decides to do some investigating of her own.

This tea shop mystery pretty much stuck to the usual plot points, writing style and atmosphere of most amateur sleuth novels. While I know this series won't become my favorite of the genre (that honor goes to Donna Andrews' Meg Langslow series) I'll definitely read more of these easy, inviting tea-themed murder mysteries. The cast of characters is likeable, there's a dog involved, and these days I'm all about tea. Maybe I'll save the rest of the series to read once we've moved to Ohio this winter and I can curl up next to the fireplace on a snowy day. Isn't that the ideal setting to read one of these cozy mysteries?

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...