Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday Musings: "Hunger Games"

"The Hunger Games" DVD releases this Saturday! Can you guess what I'll be doing on Saturday night?

In other "Hunger Games" news, the role of Finnick has finally been cast for the film version of "Catching Fire," which is due out in November 2013. Sam Claflin of "Snow White and the Huntsman" and the great PBS Masterpiece Classic miniseries I just so happen to be watching right now, "Any Human Heart," landed the coveted role.


While he's definitely handsome, this is not how I pictured Finnick when I read the book (though he does look like he'd make a good Christian Grey -- it's all in the hair!). Perhaps simply because I had just finished watching the entire "Gilmore Girls" series for the first time right before I read the "Hunger Games" books, my Finnick looked more like Rory Gilmore's college boyfriend Logan: tousled dark blonde hair and a kind of palpable cockiness. (Somewhat ironically, Sam Claflin's character in the PBS movie I mentioned is also named Logan...)

While I seldom find a movie to be better than the book it's based on, I always think it's interesting to see how other people interpret and imagine scenes and creatures and people from the book. I guess that's one of the joys of reading -- each individual reader gets to fashion his or her own little imaginary world from the writing.

Happy reading (and movie watching)!

1 comment:

  1. I was/am in love with the Hunger Games trilogy too, so I'm hoping to spend my Saturday night doing the same thing! Interesting choice for Finnick, I think I can see this! I actually really like that I'm not familiar with this actor - that makes it easier for me to watch them play a character I've already created my own version of while reading. I actually really liked the casting in the first film, although I had originally pictured Haymitch as something completely different than Woody Harrelson!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...