Monday, September 30, 2013

A-Z Bookish Survey

I've always been a sucker for surveys, and when I stumbled upon this book-themed one (which originated at The Perpetual Page-Turner) I knew I'd have to fill it out!

A uthor you’ve read the most books from: Probably Janet Evanovich. Her Stephanie Plum series alone has 19 numbered books, plus the "between-the-numbers" ones. Honestly, I think it's about time for Janet to put Stephanie to rest, but I'll keep on reading until she does!

B est Sequel Ever: "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins. I tore through that puppy!

C urrently Reading: "The Other Typist" by Suzanne Rindell.

D rink of Choice While Reading: Tea or cocoa.

E -reader or Physical Book? I just finished my first-ever e-book last week and it wasn't nearly as horrible and soul-killing as I expected, but I think I will always prefer real books.

F ictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated in High School: Err... no idea on this one. I never had a long-term boyfriend in high school, so I guess that's fitting!

G lad You Gave This Book A Chance: I don't read a ton of YA books, but I saw "The Book Thief" over and over again on book blogs and decided to give it a try. The story of a young German girl in Nazi Germany was fascinating and the writing style was totally unique.

H idden Gem Book: "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" by Maria Semple was such a fun, quirky read.

I mportant Moment in your Reading Life: Spending summer afternoons immersed in Nancy Drew and the Babysitter's Club.

J ust Finished: "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Vampire-zombie hybrids, oh my!

K inds of Books You Won’t Read: Harlequin romance-type books, although I did give them a try in my teenage years. I also haven't read an edge-of-your-seat crime thriller (i.e. James Patterson) in a few years. They make me scared of the dark!

L ongest Book You’ve Read: Not positive, but I'm guessing it would be "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. (870 pages)

M ajor book hangover because of: "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by Stieg Larsson.

N umber of Bookcases You Own: 4, but I've got some books boxed up too.

O ne Book You Have Read Multiple Times: I very rarely re-read books, but I've read the Harry Potter books several times (though book 7 only twice). I got into the series shortly before book 4 came out, and I used to re-read all the books before the new installments were released. I'm actually planning to re-read the entire series this winter (our first full one after three years in Hawaii). I figure it'll give me something to look forward to when it's gloomy and gray out every day.

P referred Place To Read: The beach. But the place I read most often is bed.

Q uote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read: The coming of age/end of the world novel "The Age of Miracles" was full of amazing quotes, but apparently I didn't write any of them down!

R eading Regret: Despite what I wrote under "worst reading habit" below, I did actually suffer through the entirety of J.K. Rowling's "A Casual Vacancy." It was so boring and depressing as hell, and I sure regret that! Luckily I learned from this experience and when "A Cuckoo's Calling" was (literally) putting me to sleep 100 pages in, I took it back to the library unfinished.

S eries You Started and Need to Finish (all the books are out): the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini, the Passage series by Justin Cronin, the Chet and Bernie through-the-dog's-eyes mystery series by Spencer Quinn. (Not all these series are complete yet, but I'm way behind in the ones that aren't.)

T hree of your All-Time Favorite Books: "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

U napologetic Fangirl For: I'm not super-fanatical for any author right now, but I do like to recommend Tasha Alexander to fans of mysteries and historical fiction.

V ery Excited for This Release More Than All the Others: Coming soon: "Allegiant" by Veronica Roth, third in the Divergent trilogy. Sometime in the distant future: the last book in Deborah Harkness's All Souls trilogy.

W orst Bookish Habit: Last year I conquered my worst habit. I used to continue on with a book even if it was boring or I hated it, crossing my fingers that it would eventually get better or feeling some sort of bizarre moral obligation to see the story through. Not anymore! I finally realized that not only do I have dozens of unread books on my shelves, I work at a library with thousands of books to pick from. There's no need to waste time on books that aren't enthralling.

X Marks The Spot (start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book): "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Have yet to read this one.)

Y our latest book purchase: I've been checking out library books galore lately and it's been a while since I've purchased a book, but I did pick up "A Partial History of Lost Causes" by Jennifer Dubois at the library for 25 cents last week. I'd never heard of it before, but it came out last year and involves chess, Russia and an old letter.

Z ZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late): "The Passage," my latest read, was a definite page-turner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...