Thursday, October 13, 2011

Inspiration: Red

My love affair with the color red began in high school. Things were great until my senior year when I got a job at Target, which I had for the next four years up until my senior year of college. After being forced to wear red shirts several times a week for years, I was sick of the color and actually donated every red shirt I owned as soon as I got a new job. But red and I have slowly been falling back in love ever since. Red is such a bold, bright, eye-catching color and so many different shades fall into the red family. I'm excited to share some of my favorite red things with you this week for the Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop.

IMG_3245
Most of our furnishings are neutral shades like tan, but red is my favorite accent color. Even Conan likes red!


I'm planning to buy this adorable red sign from Barn Owl Primitives for my kitchen.

Oct 2010 Family Visit 198
This is one of my favorite places on Oahu, Makapu'u Lighthouse. Many of Hawaii's lighthouse have red domes like this.

P9021518
Because I'm a military wife (and daughter), red makes me think patriotic thoughts.

IMG_4015
This is one of my favorite family pictures. It's from Fourth of July 2010.

IMG_1562
The Byodo-in Temple is a gorgeous Buddhist temple on the east side of Oahu. You might recognize it from "Lost."

IMG_2427
With my brother when I went home to Colorado for a visit this summer. We're at Red Robin --YUMMM! (Sadly, there are no Red Robins in Hawaii.)

IMG_2207
Red cinder cones at Haleakala Crater on Maui. Hawaiian dirt is red (and notoriously hard to get off clothes) because the volcanic ash and lava that formed the islands has a very high iron content, which has been oxidized (basically rusted) over time.

IMG_0120
This awesome pencil urchin is one of the neatest things we've seen snorkeling in Hawaii. I love the red color in the center.

IMG_1211
One of the only things that grows in the lava fields of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island are these small trees with red flowers. They're called ohia trees.

IMG_0928
Hawaii has an amazing variety of beautiful red flowers. It was tough, but I managed to choose just one picture to show you. (Otherwise, we'd be here all day!)

Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures for the inspiration of the color red. I love the cupcake sign. A little touch of red just adds enough pop for everything.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...