Friday, August 19, 2011

Pucker Up With Li Hing Mui

One of the best things about Hawaii is that its population is a mishmash of cultures, and I love how that spills over into the food. There have been a good many things I've tried here that I've never even seen on the menu elsewhere. I love a good margarita, and the best one I've ever had is the li hing mui margarita from a restaurant here called Mexico.

Li hing mui powder is made from dried plums and has a tart, sweet and ever so slightly salty taste. It's often served with something sweet (I particularly like the li hing mui-dusted gummy worms, although I have to admit that I didn't enjoy it sprinkled on pineapple) and it creates a perfect balance of pucker-up and sweetness. But it also tastes good by itself. See all that powder on the rim of my glass? I savored every last morsel. Many tourists stick with tropical drinks like mai tais and blue Hawaiis on their vacations to the fiftieth state. But if you're visiting and come across a place offering a li hing mui margarita, order it and thank me later!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...