Monday, January 11, 2016

Monday Musings



Highlight of the week: It's been a pretty uneventful week. But I did buy a much-needed new can opener. And we had our first real snow of the year yesterday.

Lowlight of the week: My immune-system-of-steel husband somehow came down with a cold last week and, despite my best efforts, it had come to visit me by Friday night. I'm staying home from work today, and I'm quite sad that my record of not getting sick in over two years is busted. And, being the weirdo that I am, I'm bummed that I was only about one paycheck away from maxing out my sick hours and work and here I finally had to go and use some! Sigh.

Reading: In my Saturday post I said I feared I was on the cusp of a reading slump -- I didn't feel like completing anything I'd started and nothing else sounded good either. If I wasn't sick, I probably would've just taken a reading break, but I didn't feel like doing much of anything so I plowed through one of the three books I had started, "November 9" by Colleen Hoover. It turned out to be decent, but nothing else I have out from the library appealed to me. So yesterday I perused my own bookshelves (something I never do, despite the vast number of unread books they hold) and selected "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell," a book I've been meaning to read for years. Magic and historical England might be just what I need to get my reading mojo back. And it was recently turned into a miniseries by BBC America, so I can look forward to watching that.

Knitting: Still hard at work on the mermaid tail blanket.

Watching: We're now partway through season 2 of "Orphan Black." I can't stop watching!

Wearing: Sweats, a thermal shirt, slippers and a blanket.

Drinking: All the warm beverages in copious amounts -- coffee, tea and cocoa.

Looking forward to: The only good thing about taking a sick day is that I get to watch last night's "Downton Abbey" this morning!

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear you are still sick. Everyone in my office seems to be catching a rather nasty flu or cold strain. I keep waiting for my turn, while at the same time hoping I remain healthy.

    I just realized I don't have an electric can opener--just the manual kind. Which did you get?

    I loved Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I haven't seen the mini-series, but I would like to see it at some point. I love Orphan Black! I need to find a way to get season 3 so I can get caught up. I've only seen the first two seasons.

    I hope you feel better soon. Have a good week, Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon! And congrats on getting through your (very brief!) reading slump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you got sick and had to use a sick day. But better to stay home than spread all those germs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...