Monday, January 18, 2016

The 10 Most Recent Additions To My To-Read List


This week for Top Ten Tuesday the topic is a simple -- and dangerous -- one: the last 10 things we've added to our to-read lists. It's simple because all I had to do was pull up Goodreads and find the 10 most recent things I'd added. It's dangerous because I have a feeling my way-too-big TBR is going to be expanding after I visit other bloggers' posts. I've already got more books on my to-read list than I could read in 7 years, so I reeeeeally probably don't need to be adding more.

Below are the 10 books I've most recently added to my queue (which now has 566 books on it!). Some are older, some are obscure and some are not even released yet. Talk about random! What books have you added to your to-read list lately?

new to queue

#566: A Thousand Naked Strangers: A Paramedic's Wild Ride To the Edge and Back by Kevin Hazzard
Where I found it: BookPage browsing at work, I think?
Blurb: A former paramedic’s visceral, poignant, and mordantly funny account of a decade spent on Atlanta’s mean streets saving lives and connecting with the drama and occasional beauty that lies inside catastrophe.

#565: A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis
Where I found it: last week's Top Ten Tuesday
Blurb: Grace Mae knows madness. She keeps it locked away, along with her voice, trapped deep inside a brilliant mind that cannot forget horrific family secrets. Those secrets, along with the bulge in her belly, land her in a Boston insane asylum. In this beautifully twisted historical thriller, Mindy McGinnis explores the fine line between sanity and insanity, good and evil -- and the madness that exists in all of us.

#564: The Secret Wisdom of the Earth by Christopher Scotton
Where I found it: last week's Top Ten Tuesday
Blurb: Timely and timeless, this is a dramatic and deeply moving novel about an act of violence in a small Southern town and the repercussions that will forever change a young man's view of human cruelty and compassion.

#563: The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain by Bill Bryson
Where I found it: Barnes and Noble e-mail
Blurb: In 1995 Bill Bryson got into his car and took a weeks-long farewell motoring trip about England before moving his family back to the United States. Two decades later, he set out again to rediscover that country, and the result is "The Road to Little Dribbling." Nothing is funnier than Bill Bryson on the road -- prepare for the total joy and multiple episodes of unseemly laughter.

#562: You by Caroline Kepnes
Where I found it: blogs, friends
Blurb: When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card. There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight -- the perfect place for a “chance” meeting. As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way -- even if it means murder.

#561: Julian Fellowes' Belgravia by Julian Fellowes (creator of Downton Abbey)
Where I found it: Library Journal e-mail
Release date: July 5, 2016
Blurb: "Belgravia" is the story of a secret. A secret that unravels behind the porticoed doors of London's grandest postcode. Set in the 1840s when the upper echelons of society began to rub shoulders with the emerging industrial nouveau riche, Belgravia is people by a rich cast of characters. But the story begins on the eve of the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. At the Duchess of Richmond's new legendary ball, one family's life will change forever.

#560: The Sunlight Pilgrims by Jenni Fagan
Where I found it: Library Journal e-mail
Release date: March 24, 2016
Blurb: Set in a Scottish caravan park during a freak winter, "The Sunlight Pilgrims" tells the story of a small Scottish community living through what people have begun to think is the end of times. Bodies are found frozen in the street with their eyes open, euthanasia has become an acceptable response to economic collapse, schooling and health care are run primarily on a voluntary basis. But daily life carries on: Dylan, a refugee from panic-stricken London who is grieving for his mother and his grandmother, arrives in the caravan park in the middle of the night -- to begin his life anew.

#559: The Last One by Alexandra Oliva
Where I found it: Library Journal e-mail
Release date: March 1, 2016
Blurb: For readers of "Station Eleven" and "The Passage" comes a dazzling and unsettling novel of psychological suspense. In Alexandra Oliva’s thrilling fiction debut, survival is the name of the game, as the line blurs between reality TV and reality itself -- and one woman’s mind and body are pushed to the limit.

#558: The Wolf Road by Beth Lewis
Where I found it: Library Journal e-mail
Release date: June 30, 2016
Blurb: "True Grit" meets "The Road" in this post-apocalyptic psychological thriller narrated by a young girl who has just learned that her adopted father may be a serial killer, and that she may be his next victim.

#557: Monterey Bay by Lindsay Hatton
Where I found it: Library Journal e-mail
Release date: July 19, 2016
Blurb: A beautiful debut set around the creation of the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium and the last days of John Steinbeck’s Cannery Row.

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean - this weeks topic is soooooo dangerous! I have added a bunch of books to my TBR already. Of course, I will be adding some of yours as well. :)

    Top of My TBR Pile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these lists are very dangerous to our already overflowing bookshelves. And yet we can't resist! A Madness So Discreet caught my eye a few months ago and is now on my wish list. You sounds like something I would like--dark and twisted. :-) I also like the sound of The Last One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Last One" had me at the comparisons to "Station Eleven" and "The Passage," both of which I loved!

      Delete
  3. The Secret Wisdom of the Earth is so good! I see a couple that I've added to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! A TTT post from last week convinced me to read it.

      Delete
  4. I have A MADNESS SO DISCREET on my TBR pile and plan to read it soon, I'm so excited about it!

    I also can't wait to get my hands on THE WOLF ROAD, the blurb sounds really interesting and the cover is just AMAZING! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too -- I'm drawn to anything with trees and snow!

      Delete
  5. A Thousand Naked Strangers is really great. I listened to it on audible on my commute. And, don't get me started on my TBR list. Embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...