Monday, January 18, 2016

Monday Musings

lily fireplace

Highlight of the week: Getting over the miserable cold I had last weekend and the beginning of the week. I went back to work on Wednesday but it was pretty rough. I was so grateful to the gods of tissues and cough drops when I finally felt better on Thursday! The high point of being sick was my wonderful husband driving to the gas station in the freezing cold to get me a slushie to soothe my throat. But he's the one who got me sick in the first place, sooooo... ;)

We've also had some really lovely snow flurries this week. It's been a pretty mild winter up til now and I'm trying to soak in all the good things about the season before we move to Hawaii, where I'll be in perpetual summer for three years. (In my opinion, the very best thing about winter is the sense of coziness you get when you're snuggled up with a blanket, a warm beverage, the fireplace chugging away and a good book while it's cold and snowy outside.)

Reading: I'm almost halfway done with "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell." I can't remember the last time it's taken me more than a week to read anything, but in my defense it's almost 800 pages long and kinda slow-moving. I love the writing, though, and I'm excited to see where the story is headed.

Knitting: No surprise here, I'm still working on the mermaid tail blanket for my friend Jaymee's toddler. I'm nearing the end -- last night I started decreases for the end of the body where the fin attaches.

Eating: Homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Watching: We continued our binge-watch of "Orphan Black" with the first few episodes of season 3 last week and I am just obsessed! It's action, mystery, drama and sci-fi all mixed perfectly together with awesome characters and an intense plotline. I'm always on the edge of my seat! I also started catching up on recorded episodes of this season's "Grey's Anatomy." Now that I know we're moving in April, I know my deadline for watching the gazillion things I have on the DVR -- and I highly doubt I will be able to get to everything. Must prioritize!

Listening to: Twenty One Pilots.

Mailing: After a rather hilarious conversation with Jarrod about the things we buy that annoy each other (he said my large purchases of stamps and postcards get on his nerves) I realized that I hadn't sent any Postcrossing postcards in a while. So I sent out three -- they went to Russia, Germany and Connecticut. Now I can look forward to finding three fun postcards in my mailbox in the next few weeks. (P.S. If you like sending mail and/or collecting postcards and/or are interested in other countries, check out Postcrossing! P.P.S. Sorry Jarrod!)

Looking forward to: A quiet week. And going to Kohl's to spend my $5 reward! I really need some new Valentine's Day placemats, so that'll be priority one... but of course I'll swing by the clothes. How could I not when my Kohl's time is just as limited as my DVR time, since there are (sad, sad face) no Kohl's in Hawaii!?

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry you have been so sick. I hate going into work when I'm still under the weather, but it often can't be helped. I hope are feeling better now. We are well into season three of Doctor Who. Still haven't caught up to where we last left off, but I don't mind. Some of these episodes I remember so little about. It's been forever since I last sent a postcard via PostCrossing. I really need to get back into it. My mailbox has been empty of worthwhile mail since Christmas. :-(

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy! I'm all better now. :) I would like to become a "Dr. Who" fan but I'm not sure if it's in the cards for me. A couple years ago I watched the first episode of the then-newest iteration of the doctor and thought it was so dumb and bizarre that I didn't watch anymore (something about mannequins coming to life and a giant evil blob...?). I've since been told that you have to power through the first couple episodes and then you'll be hooked for life!

      You should totally send a Postcrossing postcard! Then you can look forward to a happy mailbox! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day, and I read and appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...